Went to Harbor Freight today | cvetitula.ru
Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 2 times
Went to Harbor Freight today

My dad got a couple of work benches, some moving blankets, and a 20 ton press and I got a 2500lb Badlands wench. The only thing that I want to change is that it only came with a wireless remote. Is there a way to wire it up so that it works off of a switch on the handle bars and the remote?

1985 Honda TRX 250
2004 John Deere Gator 4x6 - under construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Banned

Liked: 51 times
I believe its possible. But I have not seen the wiring to know for sure.

Be careful with not letting the wire cable get caught between the spool and winch housing. It will break the spool! One member has already had that happen in the last month.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 AM

Liked: 66 times
You can add a wired switch to it. Actually, I would recommend it. The wireless doesn't allow for running the winch in small increments. When just trying to take up some slack, you could end up pulling more than expected. I drilled a small hole in the side of the control box and ran the switch wires in. Tap them into the wires from the wireless receiver going to the contactor. I believe I wrapped mine around the posts of the spade plugs and soldered it in place. I'll look around and see if I have any pictures. It's a fairly simple job, though.

Be careful when using that winch. I had the same one and the first time I used it, the cable wrapped itself between the drum and the winch housing. Caused the whole thing to rip itself to pieces. If I were you, I'd open the control box and remove the wireless receiver. Return that winch and buy the 3500lb the next time it goes on sale for $109. Use a 25% coupon and get it for just under $90. Install the wireless receiver on the 3500lb. That's what I did and the new winch has been working great. I know it's twice as much but, it's stronger, much quieter, is able to be submerged when the 2500lb is not, uses 6ga wiring instead of 10ga, and the spool is slightly recessed into the sides of the housing which reduces the chances of the cable wrapping off the side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:10 AM

Liked: 7 times
Cool! I have their 20 ton press and am very pleased with it for the price. It has made life so much easier, totally work the investment. If you use it a lot I recommend getting a air over hydraulic bottle jack for it, that'll be my next buy.

On the winch, yes. Under that box on the winch is the wiring. If you google search there are how-to articles on it with pics (for the old 3000lb version) which will show you how to wire in a rocker switch and get rid of that 1 second delay...

Whatever is currently in one piece... 400 prairie with stuff, 300 fourtrax, 500 sportsman, yz 125...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 AM

Here is the picture of the inside of the control box. The top row of wires with the spade plugs are where you need to attach your switch wires. If your switch uses the same colors as mine, it has a green, black, and red wire. I'm color blind so my green wire could possibly be gray. The green and black wires will attach to the yellow and white wires. I can't remember which ones but I think it was green to yellow spade and black to white spade. If you get it backwards then you'll have one switch that works in reverse. I'd use a multimeter to verify which is which. If you want your wired switch to work when he bike is off, you can attach the red wired to the contactors screw terminal coming from the battery. Otherwise, tap into a switched wire on the four wheeler.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 2 times
I will unwind the cable before I put it on and check the gaps. I might weld a plate on either side to keep that from happening. Which switch did you get? How thick of steel should I get to mount the winch to?

1985 Honda TRX 250
2004 John Deere Gator 4x6 - under construction

Last edited by 1985fourtrax250; 02-09-2014 at 11:37 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:51 PM

Liked: 40 times
I also have the 20 ton press, and I love it, only thing I highly suggest, it get stronger bolts for the tops of the springs, mine broke when putting it together.

Other then that it is a great press. Dad's buddy went with the 12 ton, and it almost broke trying to press bushings out a lower control arm for a Ford Focus.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 PM

The switch I am currently using was "donated" from the original 2000lb badlands winch I purchased. Any switch you use should be three wires. Power going in, usually red, and power going out on one of two wires, depending on which way you press the rocker.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM

Does this winch have a built in selenoid?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 PM

The solenoid is not built into the winch, the control box pictured in post #5 is the solenoid.

2004 TRX450R
TWO 2000 Polaris 500 sportsman's

2006 Foreman 500
ITP SS108 wheels with 27" Kenda Bearclaw Tires
2" lift
Superwinch 3500 Terra
60" Warn Provantage plow when needed!
15" LED light bar!
3 light HID upgrade

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode