Gravel driveway maintenance? | cvetitula.ru
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 5 times
Gravel driveway maintenance?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has experience with accessories that help maintain gravel driveways. Mine is 1/3 mile long, portions going to my house are quite steep. Every three or four years we have to dump a few thousand $ into it, mostly because bedrock prevents ditches from being realistic. We just found a new excavator who circles back a couple of times a year for maintenance, this will help. I am also hoping to chip in myself, homey don't like writing big checks. DR Power has a that receives mostly good but mixed reviews and IMO is expensive for what it is, and for about a third of the price I am looking at the , I've seen no negative comments.

Your feedback would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM

Liked: 6 times
u shouldnt have to do anything to it if it gradded propper if it not gradded proper water will sit casing holes groing bigger as the year goes by if i was u i would scrach the surface on the road with teeth on machine where any low spots or high spots r like loosen the gravel and add to it iif u need to then grade the drive way u cant just add gavel it will not hold up u need to scratch the spot so gravel will pack to gethere what i do is start at the house with excavator sracth drive way from house till street ill scractch up to 1 foot deep get all the loom and rocks out yess rocks kill drive ways espicially asphalt and loom too is no good has no base so support anything but flowers but if u can get some road claim like the recycled asphalt that they grind from road throw thats stuff down graded it and roll it with the car it will bond back together from presser from car and the sun help warm it evey day hit me up if u got anymore questions

2003 440ex 11:1 gt thunder head studs pro taper bars blingstar bumper itp rims front and back more to come
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:49 PM

Liked: 64 times
I was going to day have a look at the DR power grader. That's all I've ever really heard of for maintaining them. My boss runs the tractor up and down his a few times. We just leave ours, it's got a good base. Just fill in the holes every now and again.

-2007 King Quad 450 (Work Horse)
-1984 Honda TRX200 (Donor)
-1989 Skidoo Mach 1 (Play Toy/Winter Headache)
-1966 Series IIA Land Rover (Major Project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:56 PM

Liked: 1270 times
I agree, but maybe a tad more info
a good gravel road, needs a great base without it, its a never ending fix and repair deal
here where I am at, that means starting with big softball sized stone for firat layer, then like 2 b, and then unwashed gravel, to compact it all
the roll it, and make sure its got good grade to it to keep water from just standing on it
as for tools to up keep it
I am sure they all work in right conditiond, but I personally think anything that an ATV can pull, isn't heavy duty enough to really work well, un;ess you live is a very dry place and have a very level road to work with
yoyu get a decent curl of stone behind a blade and teh weight of the stone there will out weight I think what most atv's can pull, just due to there lack of weight/traction, not so much power at times, just traction, they will spin and thus just loosen up the driveway more, not helping, even if it levels it after wards, you want a hard as can be road, not loose
money would be better spent with a older used tractor and a box blade
and I also agree, try and find some hi way projects near by and ask about what there doing with ground up pavement
works great and doesn't wash away easily either and compacts tght
most places recycle anymore, but some times a few bucks in cash can lure a load or two your way LOL
also if your hills are steep, you can always add some angled run offs, to help slow water fown the whole drive from eroding it too!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:10 PM

Liked: 6 times
great advice mrbb as i tell my evty i know if u dont have a good base it will never last i never tried to do it with atv but i made a 12ft grader attachment for my bobcat a300 works great for maken a couple pases i have one road i graded 10 year ago put the wrap down and been great get everyday taffic from the triaxles all day now thats a packed laneway i also love to role laneways witha fully loaded triaxle now that is how u compact a road laneway whatever

2003 440ex 11:1 gt thunder head studs pro taper bars blingstar bumper itp rims front and back more to come
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:15 PM

Liked: 1270 times
the roads I drive out west when I hunt are that way, rock solid, even in spring thaw, they build a high base above the lands to the sides to kep them, dry and solid as can be
driive a foot off the side of the road ina little rain and you sink like a rock in water, crazy how the difference can be on a preped road and the dirt on the side of it!
its all about the base!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Liked: 64 times
I agree an ATV never seemed heavy enough to me to haul a grader with but aspparently the weay the DR power grader was designed it's meant for ATV's always seemed like just a way to "Make Do" to me but after pushing some snow and hauling some pretty heavy wagons with my bike I have a whole new respect towards the traction that they can get. I agree though If you get and old Ford 8N with a box blade or even better some old machine with a loader you'll use it for way, way more than you'd ever expect you would.

-2007 King Quad 450 (Work Horse)
-1984 Honda TRX200 (Donor)
-1989 Skidoo Mach 1 (Play Toy/Winter Headache)
-1966 Series IIA Land Rover (Major Project)

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode