Battery blanket / heater for ATV batteries? | cvetitula.ru
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
Battery blanket / heater for ATV batteries?

Is there such a thing as a battery blanket made for ATV sized batteries? I've also heard of a battery 'plate' which I assume would be put directly under the battery. If someone could point the way to either of these much obliged.

Also, maybe any other ideas on how to keep your batt warm that would go directly in the battery compartment? Trying to avoid just throwing a tarp over and putting a space heater under. Need an option with lower wattage consumption.

thanks

Last edited by toonces; 02-03-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:13 AM

Liked: 18 times
See here....

You want the lower wattage "battery heater" the regular heat pads are too hot for a battery

2008 Honda Rancher, manual shift, Alum Rubicon (old style) wheels & tires. Warn R/T 2500,

2015 Rubicon, manual shift, 3500SR Terra Superwinch.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:36 AM

Liked: 199 times
Hi Toonces: Just buy a 12v battery maintainer and connect it to the battery at all times when the bike is not in use.
Macarena Man likes this.

2011 Honda TRX420FPA PG CTE camo EPS
Auto & Electric Shift -- IRS -- Programmed Fuel Injection
25" Kenda K587 Bear Claws HTR
Garmin Montana 600 Ram mount & Rugged mount
2500 Runva Winch
Winter Pak Plus 2/4 Zone Thumb & Hand Warmers

If all the animals run in one direction follow them.

If you can't soar with the Eagles, then run with the Chickens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:57 AM

Liked: 1270 times
Not sure where your ATV, but I get wind chills down to minus 40 here, and for 12 yrs or so my Atv was kept outside under a roof on a 3 sides building, so was exposed to the temps, and never needed any battery heater, just a good battery, average life of my Atv's batteries has been about 5 years each, I have NO power there so couldn't use a battery tender or am sure that would have got me more, Atv would also sit many times for weeks with NO use, and always fired right up for me, BUT thisisthis is an older Atv, that doesntdoesn't have constant battery drain like new one's do, on any modern Atv, I think a Battery tender is an almost MUST have item, all the more so if Atv sits often
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1465 times
Toonces: Yes, there are battery blankets available. Generac makes a good one. However, like the others above, I agree that a Battery Maintainer, such as a Battery Tender is all you need. I have temps (not wind chills!) as low as -25F and my battery fires my engine up in less than 2 seconds. (I keep a Battery Tender connected to my battery whenever I'm not riding). Also, use synthetic motorcycle/atv oil in your engine/transmission as it flows MUCH better and easier when it is cold outside. You'll notice how much easier your engine/transmission turns over when it is cold and has synthetic in it.
codyriley likes this.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:25 PM

Liked: 52 times
Garage
A Battery Tender is a good pet to have.
Toonces. Let me guess...SNL fan??? LOL!!!

2015 Rubicon Automatic DCT
Front & Rear Stick-Stoppers
Rear Padded Cargo Seat
Honda Rear Bumper
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
Thanks for the help everybody. I actually keep a batt tender hooked up in the winter but I've always been told never to charge a battery in below freezing temps so figured there might be a need for extra heat at the battery. Here in Kentuck it gets down to an avg of about 5F in the winter although last year got down to -18F real temp. Does charging itself keep the battery warm maybe?

Thanks for the link nanook, that's the best lead I've seen so far.

Kentco thanks for the synthetic oil tip. Since I just bought this machine this summer I'm not sure what oil is in it but I'll be replacing with synthetic soon as it gets warmer. What weight would you recommend for all year use?

Also, little embarrassing here but I haven't gotten entirely familiar with all the maintenance aspects yet and not sure if the engine and transmission use different fluids, although just like in cars I would assume they do. Any suggestions for a synthetic transmission fluid? Do they come in different viscosities for ATVs?

And yes Wood! after a whole year being here someone recognizes my name! Yes I'm Toonces the driving cat heeeee!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:38 PM

NO your machine uses ONE oil for both motor and trans, not 2
lots of GOOD syn oils on the market
I live where things get cold for months, and have had very good luck with Amsoil 0-40 oil, from minus 15 or lower temps to 100+ temps in summer
atv shifts better and runs cooler on it, been using it for 16 yrs now and motor sounds liek it did day one!

I also use AMsoil Gear oil in my diff's

but again there are Other GOOD syn oils out there
the key with Motor oil/trans, is MAKE sure its wet CLUTCH APPROVED, after that, what weight oil is kind of up to you, some folks will run thicker in hot weather and then thinner in cold
I just run 0-40 all yr problem free LOL
I just change it as I feel is needed and I base changes on HOW I use the machine, NOT just hrs or miles!

same with Diff's
if you DON"T have a good washable air filter, there a good addition to buy as well
a UNI is a good one for the price!
and then just wash as needed and re oil and your good to go!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 12:12 PM

Liked: 905 times
You should never charge a dead battery when it's frozen. As long as your battery has a charge it shouldn't freeze, so if you keep it on a tender when you aren't riding it you should be fine.

They make solar tenders too. I haven't used one yet but am considering getting one to keep on the tractor since I don't have power at the farm shop. For now I just pull the battery and keep it at the house on a tender.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
You should never charge a dead battery when it's frozen. As long as your battery has a charge it shouldn't freeze, so if you keep it on a tender when you aren't riding it you should be fine.

They make solar tenders too. I haven't used one yet but am considering getting one to keep on the tractor since I don't have power at the farm shop. For now I just pull the battery and keep it at the house on a tender.
JEEP for yrs when I kept mine at the farm, far from any power, I looked into solar chargers and I had so many mixed reviews on them OVER charging and such, I never used one, plus building was in the shade most of the day, as it was behind a larger barn, so not much sun there to even get to a charger LOL
but that was many yrs back, I am sure they have better one's out there now.

I used to pull all the battery's on the tractors as well and just keep indoors(NO tenders), and then charge before putting back in summer time

never pulled the atv as, just too many times would be heading to farm from other places and didn't want to need to use it and NO battery there
but for 12+ yrs my atv lived in a cold 3 sided building exposed to wind and cold temps, tires would be frozen to the ground at times, and it always started right up, never had a battery issue untill they got OLD(5+ yrs)
a tender might have got me an extra yr or two maybe out of each battery??>>

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode