might buy a 98 honda 300 fourtrax | cvetitula.ru
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

might buy a 98 honda 300 fourtrax

How dependable and what would a good price be ? it is the 300 fourtrax 4x2 green has front / rear racks said it was always garaged . he is asking 900 or best offer.

Is there a weight limit on this honda 300 as I am 290 pounds 6'1?

If I get this one I will possibly sell my 87 4x4 350 blue
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Always garaged,,,,,,,,,hmmmm,,,,,,,does that mean never rode......jk.........I don't know,it may be newer but you would lose 50cc and 4x4.Maybe,if money allows,buy it for back-up ride or flip it for a profit.

There's no excuses for riding a HONDA,only REASONS!

96 TRX300FW
Upgrade with 25" Dunlop tires w/12" rims from a 09 Foreman
07 RECON
Bought new in 07 and still going strong
06 TRX90
Bought new in 07 also still going strong
01 TRX250EX
Needs work,maybe I'll get around to fixing it one of these days
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 AM
DR_

First off, don't trust anything tells you. Check the oil, check the air filter, you might even check the diff fluid. Ride it around in circles and over bumps and check for any noises. If you hear anything factor in the repairs to your price. On any older atv it has likely had multiple owners and chances are that not all of them maintained it properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2447 times
if the rear differental isn't shot..and the motor isn't shot..it would be worth 900 bucks...how's the fenders look ?..fenders are getting very hard to find these days for trx300's !. the trx300 was honda's best selling atv..EVER !!..but this doesn't mean your looking at buying a piece of crap !. as for it carrying your weight..the trx300 can do it..no problem at all, if everything was in good shape on it..i'd buy it...but..i know what to check..someone telling me it's been well taken care of ???..ummm.sorry..ain't trusting that statement !!!..lmfaoooo..spec with a trx300 !.lol

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4, 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

thanks, I am going to chk it out in a half hour
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloAmarillo View Post
thanks, I am going to chk it out in a half hour
the most exspensive part on the trx300 is the rear differental..if this seems to be ok ??..then..i'd say buy it..fix it up..flip it..make a profit... if it doesn't suit ya. the trx300's are in a class all by themselves..they did not call them bullet proof for nothing !

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4, 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

just make sure you go over it very well !!..check the rear differental..take a compression test and spark plug wrench with ya..ask them if you can check the compression ?..if they won't let you..walk away right then !!..they are hidding something. check to see if it's been started ?..egine warm already ?..if so..means it is hard to start..and they wanted it to start easy when you got there. grab the back rack from both sides..lift it up..watch the wheel when you do this..does the wheel wobble some ? you can tell if it needs bearings..if you watch the axle where it comes out of the brake cover. how's the brakes feal ?..both front and rear brakes feal good ?..does the front brake lever barely move until you feal pressure ?..if not..it needs shoes. rear foot brake pedal..does it go alittle down and lock the brake ?..when you release..does it come back up ?..ignition switch..is it there ?..if not..could be a warning sign..if you catch my drift !..front wheels..lift the front rack..does the wheel wobble ?..squeaks ?..push down on the front rack..hear any ?. start the bike up..any smoke ?..ride it..does it shift good and smooth ?..all gears work ? kick start and elec start work ?..if any of this seems to be lacking..you need to tell him this..and explain to them..it's gonna cost to fix/replace..and figure in the discount to their asking price...who knows..you may be able to get it for alot less than what they are asking !.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 PM

Liked: 1 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
First off, don't trust anything tells you. Check the oil, check the air filter, you might even check the diff fluid. Ride it around in circles and over bumps and check for any noises. If you hear anything factor in the repairs to your price. On any older atv it has likely had multiple owners and chances are that not all of them maintained it properly.
listen to this guy don't trust anyone they tell you what you want to hear just look her over real hard and you should be good

2004 400ex

yoshimura slip on
uni filter
426 kit
moose bars
dg bumper
msr clutch
itp c-series rims
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

well just got back from a 1 hour round trip, without the quad... plastics were shot, all tires flat and had green slim coming out of them,
he aired the tires up, started up and man that thing knocks like you would not believe, rode it down the street on his advice to do so while coming back up big puff of white smoke and a clank noise and died would not re start . I told him to keep it.

I asked " always garaged" he said yeah the previous owner had it in a garage ! but not him he abused that poor quad is what I think, he did have a title signed by the guy he bought it from dated 2 years ago I said you got title problems now
I walked away
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM

LMAO,,,,,,,,,,,,OH Well,still never hurt to go look.Why can't people just be honest,do they think you'll not know any better and buy it because of being afraid to say,NO THANKS.

There's no excuses for riding a HONDA,only REASONS!

96 TRX300FW
Upgrade with 25" Dunlop tires w/12" rims from a 09 Foreman
07 RECON
Bought new in 07 and still going strong
06 TRX90
Bought new in 07 also still going strong
01 TRX250EX
Needs work,maybe I'll get around to fixing it one of these days

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode