Dealer fees and dealer costs... | cvetitula.ru
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 9 times
Dealer fees and dealer costs...

I'm thinking about picking up a new '12 or '13 Honda ATV. All the dealers in my area (western WA) stick all sorts of additional fees like 'dealer prep' and 'assembly fees' on their ATVs. I've run into this when I buy motorcycles, and get the dealers to waive these fees because I'm not paying them. But the ATV dealers seem to be a little more hard-headed here. I'll pay the Honda destination charge (which is dealer freight plus some $$ for assembly and testing) and maybe $50 for paperwork, but that's it.

Is this what the rest of you do when you buy ATVs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 05:51 AM

Liked: 2 times
Unfortunately I had to pay all that BS in January with my rancher
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 06:27 AM

I tried but to no avail. Had to pay most of their assembly fees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 AM

I e-mailed several Honda dealers within a half-state radius asking what their no BS, Out-the-door price was on what I wanted. Printed off the lowest 2-3 and the local dealer matched it. That pretty much took care of some of the extra fees after I said that I travel right by these other places on business.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1465 times
ObiJohn: Dealer Fees are not mandatory charges. Whether you're buying a car or an atv, such fees are always negotiable. Personally, I call those fees "Additional Profit. Likewise, any accessories you purchase (helmets, winch, plow, etc) from a dealer greatly add to that dealers' profit.

All you can do is at least TRY to tell the dealer that 'you are going to pay all the optional fees' and start walking out the door. If they don't chase after you, you can always go back to them.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Liked: 34 times
As a Honda salesman, I can tell you that I personally make next to nothing on these quads. When the unit comes in it is crated and requires a small amount of assembly, plus required fluids and a run-up. It is also supposed to mean that the dealer will sell you the unit with a full tank of gas. Here in Canada we have a charge of $560.00 on a new utility quad. The actual time that the setup takes is about an hour and my shop will charge that hour against the unit. I usually sell the unit with the additional charges being covered but will waive the rest. Most dealers are willing to waive that on non current models. I will typically profit about $100.00 to $160.00 on a sale depending on added accessories. Most of the profit goes to HONDA, trust me!

2011 500 Rubicon
K&N filter
K&N pre filter
SS212 rims
26" ZILLAS
2500lb WARN winch (synthetic rope)
Wes210-01 Quad Box
Kimpex Fender protectors
w/Footrests
Moose-Hand and Thumb warmers
2 inch Highlifter lift
Dyno Jet kit (best upgrade yet)
Kimpex Click'n'Go 60" plow
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 02:52 PM

I just bought a 2013 Honda Foreman 500 4x4 for $6,540 OTD here in Calif. That was also with Ag except tax.

2013 Honda Foreman 500 4x4
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 04:03 PM

I'll have to look at my paperwork but I paid true dealer cost for mine + $50. I know I paid less than $6,300 for it though. I got my 2012 right when the 2012's just came out..

[CENTER]2012 Forman 500 Manual Shift 4x4 Fuel Injected
Offical Member of
OhioCoalRoller's
Mudbilly's on & offroad club
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 9 times
I found a used 2003 Honda Rincon that I'm going with, instead of a new one. It has REALLY low miles (was a 'barn find' from the estate of the prior owner and hadn't been run for almost 6 years... has been serviced by a dealer and looks brand-new). I've started and driven it, and everything works as advertised.

I'll most likely still pick up a new Honda ATV, but I'm going to let the dealers sweat a little more on their leftover stock, in the hopes that they'll become more reasonable on dropping all of the added fees.

Thanks everyone for your input. Now to find a smaller Recon for my son.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM
jdp

Liked: 111 times
I'm with kent on this one, (if you can get it in the crate with the tires and winch setup you want and put it together yourself, if it has the bells&whistles grab a buddy who knows that stuff and a cold six pack of pepsi). The marks were all me.

1993 Honda 300

Seafoam "In every tank"

Mobil1 4T 10w-40 (great stuff)

Superwinch Terra 35/synthetic rope, KFI winch Mount.

AMS Swampfox front 23x8x11, GBC dirt devils 25x12x9 rear.

Diehard Gold lawn tractor battery in rear storage box.

"Go prepared even if you think you don't need it".

Last edited by jdp; 10-28-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode