Help me decide about Chinese youth quad | cvetitula.ru
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 8 times
Help me decide about Chinese youth quad

I am getting bit hard with trying to find something for my 5 year old daughter to start riding on. I have found an old trx125 somewhat nearby, but I think it is gonna be too big for a while yet. I have located a Chinese 110 atv, it needs a starter and battery. I think I can pick it up for around 50 bucks. Am I going to regret this purchase? It is blue, but I am thinking a pink camo wrap will fix that . I think this might be a machine more her size and speed. And there is little man 3 years behind her, so if it all holds up the camo wrap will come off and he can use it when she upgrades. I have been looking, and parts are easy to get and cheap. I like the size, ease of operation (centrifugal clutch), and safety cut off features. How bad am I screwing up here folks?

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1465 times
Rob, the Chinese ATV is like anything else Chinese...... if anything breaks on it, you dispose of it. There are no parts or service.

I see (in the matter of my volunteer work on ATV trails) many people who are avid ATV enthusiasts, and who are anxious to recruit their wives and children into it. Unfortunately, I see many (way too many) cases in which kids have been hurt because their dad got them into something that they didn't have the maturity to handle. When I was a child (many, many years ago, there was no such thing as an ATV - or a dirt bike. Yet, we found plenty to do to fulfil our lives and to have fun with. I also skied for many years, and kids were on the ski slopes as well (as they still are). On the ski slopes they don't always make the best decisions. However, when they fall, there isn't enough mass (body size) to hurt them. But, on an atv, it isn't body size that hurts them... It's the ATV that rolls on top of them or which delivers them into an object that will hurt them. This past summer, I had to call in two medical heli-evacs for kids; on of which was riding a small (kid-size) atv, and another who was riding her dads ATV. Believe me... seeing small children leave the scene of an accident in a helicopter is not fun. Thus, I hope you can understand why I am writing this to you. Five years old is just a kindergartner. Give it time and the end result will be more gratifying for you and for your kids.
Save your money and use it to take the kids on a nice vacation.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 07:51 PM

Liked: 1270 times
I might be the wrong guy to add anything here, as I don't have kids
but to em, starting a 5 yr old on a atv larger than a 50 is a BAD idea, or at MOST a 90$
they just don't the mentality and body size to safely ride a larger heavier ATV
I would always suggest getting a smaller than needed for there first atv, than a BIGGER one
as one accident can be one too many
once they get the seat time and experience and GROW along with it
going bigger seems like a better idea to me??
but again I don't have kids
?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 10:12 PM

Liked: 15 times
I had two sun L 90, quads and always had to work on them. When they ran the boys had a blast on them. The quality of the machines was subpar, all the electrical connectors were cheap made the electric start buttons went out and I had to jury rig them, and the safety features did not work. I would suggest patience and get a Honda when they are older. Other Chinese quads may be better made and less of a headache to deal with than the kind I had. Do your research and good luck.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Good thoughts from all. The bike I really want to get her is an 80s era Suzuki 50. I had a cousin who got one when he was 4 (I was 20), and it was a perfect learner. It was a perfect size...this one was wore out ao it barely ran, but it was a good place to start. There just isn't anything besides power wheels that size on the market anymore. As far as the physical size of the machine, it is a good size for small riders. They have a built in throttle stop, so speed regulation is a snap. I am looking into something I can give her in the spring for her birthday, so we will have some more seat time riding with me before then. We were at our local Honda bike shop, and they also sell Polaris. Polaris has I believe a 90 cc bike they reco for 6 and up. It is a physically larger machine than the China special, and I would guess definitely is more powerful, so that is kind of what I am basing part of this on. Oh, and I almost forgot the $2200 price tag for the Polaris...but it was already pink!
My wife and I go round and round all the time about the kids and taking risks. By the time I was my daughter's age I had been to the ER probably 8 or 10 times, and most of them involved stitches or casts. I had to get stitches the first time I rode a bike without training wheels. I don't think it was irresponsible to teach a 5 year old to ride a bike. There is a fine line between overprotection and full reckless abandon immersion into new or risky situations.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 12:37 AM

Liked: 12 times
I'm going to go with one thought, any new rider will need a lot of training and supervision to safely operate any motor vehicle (and non motored). For most, the younger the operator the more training/supervision is going to be required.

Suggest before you purchase anything make sure you are up to this challenge. I find this question applies to many situations in parenthood.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2447 times
my .02's worth. try a Honda 90cc at best. anything bigger than this ?, is asking for a trip or two to the emergency room !..lol. again..my .02's worth.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4, 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

So are these 110 chinese atvs that powerful? I just figured a good mainline 90 cc machine would be more powerful than it. I may be underestimating the machine, and that may be a problem.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 09:04 AM

Liked: 1270 times
its NOT so much the power of the atv as the LBS of the machine too to worry about
think about HOW Much heavier the ATV is than the child?
in MOST ATV accidents(even for adults) the ATV comes after the rider
that is why many folks start off on motorcycles/training wheels
as MOST all bike accidents, the bike goes AWAY from the rider

and thats a BIG difference in out come of accident IMO
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 11:10 AM

If you can find a Tri-Zinger 50cc trike or Suzuki ALT 50cc trike then they would be fine for her to start on. Next in line would be a Honda ATC 70. The Honda has a throttle stop and I'm thinking the other ones do also. They are also light enough that an oops is survivable. Constant supervision, i.e. a rope tethered to you or your machine works great. The only problem with the older engineering is that the hand brake lever is too hard for little fingers to activate some times. You can get a foot brake conversion for the 70; and pink plastics!

Walk.....no run away from the knock off quads. Chances are it won't be serviceable after a year. Not like the trikes mentioned above still working after 30 years.

Quads

2 x 1998 300 Fourtrax

Trikes

1984 Big Red 200es
2 x 1970/71 Honda US90's
2 x 1972/73 Honda US90's
1972/73 Honda US90 w/1980 Big Block 110
1977 Honda ATC 90 w/1983 110
1982 Honda ATC 70
1983 Honda ATC 70
1973 Honda ATC 70

Other
1965 3 Wheel Golf Cart w/1986 Honda 250 Drivetrain

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode