Bear Tracker Project | cvetitula.ru
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Bear Tracker Project

Found my oil pump gear in pieces when I took off the clutch cover. Sucks that these quads don't have some kind of warning to make sure it's working. Hope I didn't ruin the rebuilt top end.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: DSC_0038.jpg
Views: 1260
Size: 90.2 KB
ID: 7798

2002 LT80 - 7 yr old sons
2005 Raptor 50 - 5 yr old sons
1982 Yamaha PW50 - Xmas gift for the boys (can't wait to upgrade them to a crf50 or 70)

Projects
1983 Suzuki LT125
2002 Yamaha Bear Tracker 250 SOLD
2001 300ex SOLD
1996 300ex SOLD (Brought me to the forum)

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 55 times
They do have a low,or no oil light that lights up if there's no,or too low oil pressure...They're called an idiot light as they're nowhere as good as a mechanical oil pressure gauge,plus any idiot can guess it is time to shut an engine down when it lights up ..If the engine was shut down within a minute,or so of the gear breaking,it should be fine as the residual oil between the bearings,and such would have been good enough to protect the vitals...If it was ran awhile after the gear broke,then the bearings,and other vitals would have slung the oil out,and started to wear due to metal to metal contact rather than metal to film of oil..Check the oil that you drained from the engine for metal content,or burnt smell...If it was shut down pretty quickly,replace the broken parts with new ones,reassemble,oil it up,and run it a few minutes to see if it makes any noises,or starts smoking,rattling...The damage
has either already been done,or it hasn't... No new noises,or smoke then ride it like ya stole it!!!

FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://cvetitula.ru/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://cvetitula.ru/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeperinthabush View Post
They do have a low,or no oil light that lights up if there's no,or too low oil pressure...They're called an idiot light as they're nowhere as good as a mechanical oil pressure gauge,plus any idiot can guess it is time to shut an engine down when it lights up ..If the engine was shut down within a minute,or so of the gear breaking,it should be fine as the residual oil between the bearings,and such would have been good enough to protect the vitals...If it was ran awhile after the gear broke,then the bearings,and other vitals would have slung the oil out,and started to wear due to metal to metal contact rather than metal to film of oil..Check the oil that you drained from the engine for metal content,or burnt smell...If it was shut down pretty quickly,replace the broken parts with new ones,reassemble,oil it up,and run it a few minutes to see if it makes any noises,or starts smoking,rattling...The damage
has either already been done,or it hasn't... No new noises,or smoke then ride it like ya stole it!!!
It was shut down promptly when I started hearing some noise from the top end. Oil was drained, no metal pieces, but the timing sprocket showed metal on metal and/or heat wear. My fingers are crossed. And as for the low oil light, not installed on this atv, but my guess is if I keep it I'll be installing something to prevent this problem from ruining the motor.

2002 LT80 - 7 yr old sons
2005 Raptor 50 - 5 yr old sons
1982 Yamaha PW50 - Xmas gift for the boys (can't wait to upgrade them to a crf50 or 70)

Projects
1983 Suzuki LT125
2002 Yamaha Bear Tracker 250 SOLD
2001 300ex SOLD
1996 300ex SOLD (Brought me to the forum)

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM

Hey ggaspo13. Depending on how far you are from the Canada border I'll come take it off your hands, (for what you've got in it). I have a beartracker and its great but looking for some good parts..

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode