Spark plug color chart |
Honda ATV Schematics / Manual Help Having a hard time locating a manual? Need some good solid Tech Information, Schematics or Specs? Look no farther, its all here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 5 times
Spark plug color chart

How to Read Spark Plug Colors (written by Atlantic Jet Sports)
In General: Reading spark plugs can be a valuable tuning aid. By examining the spark plug insulator color, an experienced personal watercraft engine tuner can determine valuable information about the engine's overall operating condition.

Normal: Grey to Light Golden-Brown Color

This condition is ideal, the spark plug and engine air/fuel mixture are operating properly.
Dry: Black Soot Buildup

Air/fuel mixture is too rich, the carburetor settings are incorrect, or the flame arrestor is dirty or has mounting problems.
Spark plug heat range is too cold for the operating conditions.
Ignition system problems causing a weak or intermittent spark.
Wet Fouling: Shiny, Wet, Black Appearance

Excessive use of the choke (gas fouled)
Prolonged low rpm operation (gas or oil fouled)
Fuel to oil ratio is too rich (oil fouled)
Excess Deposits: Bumpy, Chalky Buildup

Poor fuel quality
Oil leakage into combustion chamber
Improper oil used for premix/injected
Overheated: White, Blistered, Melted Electrode

Lean air/fuel mixture
Spark plug heat range is too hot for operating condition of the engine
Plug is not properly gapped and/or torqued onto head
Overly advanced timing
A detonation problem would show signs, such as silver specs, black specs, or melting or breakage at the firing tip.

NOTE: Signs of fouling or excessive heat must be traced quickly to prevent further deterioration of performance and to prevent possible engine damage.

man - "Brotherhood of Oil Burners" Local 715
Sometimes I wonder,.."Why is that Frisbee getting bigger,..? then it hits me,...

Last edited by Saber6; 09-07-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Sponsored Links

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to luthernil
color chart

Thank you for sharing this information. Honestly, I'm not familiar with the way to read this spark plug colors until now. Well, I've got to start learning it today.

Last edited by luthernil; 11-18-2010 at 01:31 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:22 AM

How does this look. I only went up the street and back on a new plug. I probobly need to ride longer to get a true reading tho.

Sponsored Links

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:27 AM

Look's lean to me what's your jetting and whats done to it, I have a 400ex and a yfz450r and neither of the plugs will change color even with a huge main jet installed so Plug color is not worth looking at, Only way to be sure is put it on the dyno

07 700 Raptor
Alba fuel controller
HMF exhaust
No troil/Lid off
Tusk front bumper
Powermadd hand guards
Tusk chrome gas cap
Tusk nerf bar's
Baby blue wire mod
Forgive me lord for I have sinned, I hit a third gear jump fourth gear pinned.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 AM

Liked: 353 times
Originally Posted by H8Monday View Post
How does this look. I only went up the street and back on a new plug. I probobly need to ride longer to get a true reading tho.

ive always ran my atv/whatever it is WOT at its highest gear. kill it, and do a plug check. thats always been the way ive done it and it works for me
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 02:13 PM

OK try this

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 383 times
Thats a nice color can't get much better than that bro. what was the final set up?

96 Polaris 400L sport (Mrs. Moose Ride)
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
96 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer (daughters)
06 TRX450ER aka === Under construction

Progress and Help
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 26 times
X2, looks good.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks Guys Didn;t take long to get it set up out at the OHV park.

Lower Navigation
Go Back > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Honda ATV Schematics / Manual Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode