86 trx350 4x4 starter gear shafts/dowl | cvetitula.ru
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

1Likes
  • 1 Post By retro
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
86 trx350 4x4 starter gear shafts/dowl

question ? I finally took out the motor and started to tear it down...my issue is the starter gear cover will not sit flush to the case.. its off like a 1/4 inch...everything is where its is supposed to go...is there a length difference in lengths in shafts and dowl pin in other years ..again mine is a 86...if I take them out the cover sits nice and flush...any info will be appreciated !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 01:30 AM

Liked: 5 times
Garage
yes there is I am trying to find GEAR C, STARTER REDUCTION (25T)
28131-HA0-680 for my 86 trx 350 the gears looked fine on mine but the cover wouldn't go on all the way fianally figured out the issue someone had put the wrong gear on it so if I can somehow find this gear this will take care of my issues so yours might be the same so check the gears and count the teeth the top gear that goes to the starter mine is 43 and 18 the one that rides on the 18 is the 25t hope this helps you also I have a parts one but that 25t is broke in half
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

hi.. thanks for responding.. ok well I think I have all the right gears.. 43/18 25t and 21t now what about the main shaft and dowel ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 646 times
In late 86 those reduction gearsets were changed. The updated gearset were used on late 86 and all 87 TRX350, they got a different cover and gears from the previous version. You can tell which 86 version you have by the cover, an oval shaped cover is the early version, the more pointed cover the latter. There are twists though... in 87 Honda introduced the 350D Foreman which had an entirely different starter motor and gearset but used the pointed style cover. In 88 and later models they went back to a short starter shaft and gearset using the pointed style cover. There is a lot of potential confusion there so sometimes the wrong parts get swapped in.

You also have to be careful how the long idler shaft, gears, clips and washer are assembled. Get one part out of order and the cover won't go back on due to the shaft not being seated all the way. When putting that cover back on a bit of wiggling should help line everything up. Watch the dowels and don't force that cover...

See the two 86 versions here (& image is attached to this post) along with part numbers:

For parts sources you are probably limited to salvage yards and fLeebay. Let us know how it goes if ya can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: d36c645daeaf587cf6e2c4d632b6c79b8aa02f45.png
Views: 8
Size: 188.8 KB
ID: 98201
SamUK likes this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 12:12 AM

Garage
if I look around I think I have the part that you need
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

hi..ya definitely let me know....thanks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 03:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdalifer View Post
yes I do I just came in from the garage so I will let you know when I go back out in the morning I think what I will do to start with for you is measure the ones that I have if yours are different then we will know what you need and get you set up
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorschevy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdalifer View Post
yes I do I just came in from the garage so I will let you know when I go back out in the morning I think what I will do to start with for you is measure the ones that I have if yours are different then we will know what you need and get you set up
if by any chance your not selling this gear set to him ^^, please make note to post this transaction in the '' pay it forward '' section, thanks.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4, 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode