I ordered my 2018 Pioneer 1000 EPS yesterday. Heater options? | cvetitula.ru
Honda Pioneer Discussions for the Honda Pioneer Side by Side (Pioneer 500, Pioneer 700, Pioneer 1000)

6Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 15 times
I ordered my 2018 Pioneer 1000 EPS yesterday. Heater options?

I been lurking around the forum for some time and threatening to purchase a Pioneer 1000 EPS. Well I finally wrote the check yesterday, and the 2018 machine will be delivered in a few weeks. I got the glass windshield, hard top and back, fabric doors, and Warn 4000 winch. I anxiously await delivery.

Although we'll use it primarily in the warmer months (Wisconsin), it would be great to be able to ride it occasionally in the winter. We do have a vast network or trails in Wisconsin, and many are open in the winter. I believe Honda wants over $1,100 for a installed heater, and I was wondering what alternatives might be available. I can't justify one of those professional type heaters that make the cab comfortable like an auto, and the complexity of installation would be beyond my ability or desire. I was wondering if anyone has tried anything a little simpler and cheaper. Like I said, I don't need it to have it tee shirt warm. I'm also a little concerned about the windshield fogging up and needing something to evaporate the condensation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks..........

BTW, I was able to get the 2018 for just a few dollars more than they could get me a 2017. It was a definitely a no brainer to get the newer version machine. I don't know if ordering it on the last day of the month helped me or not.
ZeroG and XplicitRacing6 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 01:57 PM

Liked: 888 times
From what I've heard of the pioneer 1000's, a hot cab from engine heat is a problem....so, I would say you likely won't need a heater at all. You may need to figure out a mod to cool the cab down in warmer months.

I'd like to get one eventually, so let us know what you think about it. From what I've seen around here, the warm cab seems to be people's only complaint.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

They have put a comfort kit on the 2018's to help with the heat, and the change is available (maybe free) on the 2017's. There was also a transmission issues on the 2017's caused by people not shifting into low with a heavy load. There is definitely a engineering change available for the 2017's free, and this change is incorporated in the 2018. I think the 2017 owners have a few years to take their machine to the dealer for the installation of the change. If I had bought a 2017 I would have used it several years before having the new trans installed. I do not think the trans issue is any reason not to buy the 2017 since they make the change without question.

I'll post my thoughts on the 2018 after having a chance to ride it. I also plan to buy an enclosed trailer to store and transport the machine. The plan is to put a side door on the trailer so I can open the Pioneer door in this opening and get in and out of a 6' wide trailer. It'll be tight, but the trailer manufacturer says it will pull much better than a 7' wide trailer. I'll also put in a very small door near the right front wheel to allow me to secure the machine to the trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 448 times
I put a heated seat kit in our Polaris works better than the radiator heater in our Mule. In the summer I have to close the radiator valves or I will burn up in the cab.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 07:17 PM

Liked: 1268 times
NOT sure how much power they draw, but they sell 12 volt cig lighter plug in heaters, they are mostly for defrosting windows or the likes(2 speed small fan blowers), but if wanted I guess you could try one or two, pointed at each other, seen some for about 50 bucks each or less, maybe if too much draw would pop a fuse on you before doing any damage, but your call?
they are MADE for in cars and truck use so, ? a BIG utv like a 100 should handle it i would think? simple cheap to add and remove, velcro to mount maybe if you want fast removal for summer use???

here are a whole bunch of 12 volt heaters of many types to look at

SamUK and XplicitRacing6 like this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:26 AM

Liked: 236 times
I have seen people pick up used S-10 heater cores and route/plumb them into the cab which works reasonably well and cheap. I'm confident you can find a few "homemade" videos with UTV's and heater cores. Do enjoy the unit and post a few pictures before all dirty, LOL...

2014 Honda Rancher
KFI 2500 lb winch with synthetic rope
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 02:37 PM

Liked: 1268 times
look into skid steer roof mounted heaters too, I know the one in my skid steer heats the cab up like an over in winter time
pretty simple things not so costly either
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heater input.

Now I have another wish. I thought I had a place to order a 2 inch receiver for the front of the 1000, but come to find out that it is only designed to work with a KFI winch. Since I have a Warn 4000 winch ordered they don't know if it'll work. In addition, Honda has one for the Pioneer 700, but not the 1000. What the heck?

I'll need to maneuver my enclosed trailer around a lot, and I figure the front receiver would sure be handy. Maybe I can wait for Honda to come out with one, but I'd sure like to solve the problem ASAP. Suggestions? I hate to cobble something together on a new machine.

I'll attempt to post some pictures when I get it home and the enclosed trailer gets made. I'm going to only use a 6' wide trailer with a door on the side (located strategically) so I can exit the Pioneer in the tight space. I'd rather pull the 6' wide trailer instead of a 7 footer. The trailer will also have a small door on the right front so I can tie it down. I hope to heck it all works as planned. I getting nervous with the $$ involved. LOL

Last edited by Redtape; 11-08-2017 at 10:15 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:10 AM

Liked: 26 times
KFI used the same WARN mounting bolt pattern (they are basically a copy of a Warn)...

Did you order the Honda WARN accessory winch or direct from Warn?

The worst case scenario would be that you might have to do some grinding if the KFI front receiver and the WARN mount plate interfere with each other... or order a KFI mount plate.

If running a winch on the 1000... you will really need to look installing a 2nd battery & battery isolator... the DCT transmission requires most of the available stock battery amps... when you go adding winches and other 12V accessories... it can make the tranny not want to shift properly. Luckily Honda made a spot for a 2nd battery under the hood... seems like they should have just went to a bigger battery from the get go!!!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 AM

Liked: 88 times
I saw pics of a guy that had a couple 6" fans cut into the kick plate under the seat. They were reversible so in the summer he pulled cool air from cab into engine compartment and in the winter he reversed them and blows heated air into the cab. Said it worked extremely well.

2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe White
-Stock

2008 Honda Rancher 420 4x4
Work in progress

1998 Honda Trx300 4x4
317 motor, 54% Gear Reduction, EBC Clutches, Big Red Rear End, 2.75" Stretch, 350D Clutch Cover, Oil Cooler, Foreman 450 Clutch, Disc Brake Kit, 29.5 OG Laws

1985 Honda Big Red 250 ATC
18% Reduction, 28" EDL

1986 Honda Fourtrax 125
-First ATV

1987 Honda Fourtrax 70
-Work in progress for my sons 3rd birthday

Sold
13 - Honda Trx300 4x4

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Pioneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode