Using old wiring harness on a new winch? |
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Using old wiring harness on a new winch?

I'm replacing a winch on a 350 and i was wondering if i could use the existing wiring harness from the old winch.

The winches are not from the same manufacturer but are both 3000lbs winches. The new one is a Superwinch 3000 and the old one is a "Moose winch", which is a lower quality from the Superwinch.

Sponsored Links

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2450 times
i don't see why you can't use the same wires ?..i gotta ask though..why aren't you installing the new winch with it's new wires ?..or did it not come with them ?.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4, 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Liked: 353 times
agreed^^^^ if you got the new wires, use them. no sense using old when you got new
Sponsored Links

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

I have the new wiring harness and other pieces, but i'm running out of time to get it ready to go deer hunting...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:33 PM

Liked: 353 times
since you already have a general idea of how its wired i would throw in the new harness. if you stay on top of it it should only take you an hour at most
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 06:31 AM

No sense in replacing the wires themselves, but I would change the relay and switch
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 AM

Liked: 29 times
I've done this same thing myself for a buddy this year. He had a Moose winch 1500lb I believe, (its actually just a rebadged warn winch)and it had a cracked cover where you flip the knob to release the cable to free spool it yourself. The new part was more money to fix than the superwinch 2000, and it fit his mount also. (It did mount in different holes though) The switches and parts on the SW aren't as nice a quality as the warn/moose components, and I asked him if he wanted me to make it quick and just simply reattach the wires from the Moose onto his superwinch with the new roller fairlead. I installed the whole thing in less than 30 minutes, and it works perfectly. I just had to put different ends on the cables to fit the superwinch is all, and that is an easy fix. (I used yellow open end terminal connectors if I remember correctly) The wires are different colors on the Moose, yellow/blue, compared to red/black if I remember correctly on the sw. I got it right the first time as to which terminal on the sw took the hot wire, which was the blue one if I remember correctly, and it went on the top post after it was mounted. If you wire it backwards no big worries, as it shouldn't hurt a thing, it would just make the winch motor run backwards, (push out and the motor pulls in,,etc)and then you can switch it the other way.
My only advice on the switch would be to cut off the cheap hook on the sw with an angle grinder or something, and replace it with the good one off the Moose winch which goes on with a pin, and doesn't need to be cut. At least this way if one of your electrical warn switches goes bad, you can still change the wiring later on if needed. Also watch that new winch on that first free spool as it can backlash real easy from setting on their really tight from the factory, and get stuck or even jammed outside the spool. I usually just push the out button and have someone gradually walk out the cable for me keeping it tight the first time, and then bring it back in in the same manner the first time its used.
If I remember correctly I believe the SW3000 has a remote held switch also, and I would imagine hooking that up wouldn't be an issue either.
There is nothing wrong with a superwinch, the motors are just made differently(thus the cheaper price) and don't run as cool as a warn/moose winch under constant running. Just pause a couple of times if your pulling in something heavy to let it cool a little is all. Good luck hunting.

05 Suzuki DR650, Mikuni TM40 flatslide pumper carb,JE 10.5:1 piston,stage 2#190 Webcam,open airbox, Twin Air,full FMF system,Pingel fuel valve,Ricor Racing rear shock, Ricor Racing fork Intiminators, Progressive springs, Sargeant seat,DRZ250 tailight,custom plate,LED's,GPS,sumo fender,PT bars,Cycra brushguards IMS lowered pegs, aluminum skid,bearing chain roller,Pirelli,tank bag(gone)

06 Zuk KQ700, Kenda Bearclaw HTR radials Warn RT25 w/ syn. line, 1.5mm clutch shims
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the components and will see if the Moose components (relay and switch) are better than the SW.

Lower Navigation
Go Back > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode