battery and es shift | cvetitula.ru
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

battery and es shift

i have been haveing probs with my push button shift not working or getting stuck in gear.the other day when i had it jumped to my truck i could run thrue all the gears(parked) with out a problum.after the bike was running and i unhooked the jumper cabels the shifter wouldent work.is this becouse the battery is totaly dead and shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1465 times
You probably have a battery going bad. When most batteries go bad, they lose AMPERAGE, and not necessarily voltage. When you operate a motor such as a shift motor, or your starter, you need both voltage and AMPERAGE. (Amps is the amount of current needed to do the work, while voltage delivers the current/amps to the device). I also strongly recommend that you get and use a Battery Tender to maintain your battery with when you are not riding your atv. It costs less than $30 from Amazon.com and it will more than pay for itself by extending the life of your expensive battery.

One other thing... If you don't mind taking the shift motor and shift gearbox off of your atv, I have found that it is hugely advantageous to replace the very heavy stiff grease that Honda put in the shift motor gears, with some nice White Lithium Grease. It will better lubricate those gears; allowing them to move more freely. It's a pretty easy thing to do that will really pay off with good results.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

cool idea on the regreeze.if there isent any small parts that can fall out or fly away while opening i might try it.the battery in my scooter is the factery 2005 when i bought my bike from honda. i had troubles in the very beging with the shifter not working but the warenty i bought coverd that (twice)last year i started getting start probs(battery)and shift issues. no response on first push or stick in gear and flash.the battery is now totaly dead and wont hold/take a charge. just kinda hopeing someone on hear has had this issue and can say a new battery will fix it. i will be getting a new battery soon but thats all i realy want to buy for it since i am saveing for a set of new tires. it gets old airing up the tires twice a day when i hunt. once when i leave and once when i get back to my scooter and want to go back to camp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Airmark, There aren't any small parts that will go flying when you take your shift motor off. However, watch how it comes apart so that you can easily put it back together. You'll need a 10mm wrench and socket. As I mentioned above, a Battery Tender actually pays for itself in that it extends the life of a battery. Here's one for only $25:

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 55 times
x2 on what Kentco said ^^ there,and the battery is prolly the main problem with the shifting....

FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://cvetitula.ru/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://cvetitula.ru/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

cool hopefully a battery will fix the deal.il know by this weekend when i get paid.i am thinking i want a factery battery from honda.my buddys are telling me to get a cheapy from batters plus or wallmart.any thoughts on this? going to get the battery babysiter also.LOL.now after all this is done i just need to get my hands on some decent used tires for cheap.ide like to get brand new mudders but cant afford at this time.both my rears are factery and as bald as they can get.i air up when i leave camp.and i air up when i get back to my scooter to go back to camp.anyway glad i bought and paid for this bike before the econimy went bad. oor i would be sweting payments at this point. thanks for info guys.....airmark
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 PM

Liked: 5 times
my experience is with the sealed gel batteries. The oe one in my recon is sealed and a year of no problems. I have used one from advance auto parts that is sealed, gel. cant remember the name, but i have one been in service 2+ years and no issues. If you can afford go sealed gel batteries, no mess and to me they seem to last alot better. I never had much life out of the old wet type..

later!! chris
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Airmark, Absolutely DON'T get a battery from the dealership, and DON't get one from Batteries Plus a Screwing.
Batteries are expensive no matter where you go, so it's worth it to shop around and get the best battery for the money.
I just retired from the electronics industry, and I can guarantee you that the batteries you will get at Batteries Plus are JUNK. In fact, you'll be much more likely to get a higher quality battery from Walmart. However, I would recommend that you call Rocky Mountain ATV at . Tell them what atv you have and find out what they can do for you. I still recommend that you look into a Battery Tender. It will pay for itself time after time and will be an excellent investment for only $25 from Amazon.com. Also, look on Amazon for a Battery.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Liked: 1 times
my two cents on batteries - wal-mart has some good ones which have been good for me. Word of advice - check measurements and watch the positioning of the posts because not all batteries are the same size or post location like most auto batteries. Get one with a high amperage if possible.

On your tire issue - you either have a bead seal leak or small punctures. My buddies and I have had good luck with Green Slime products. A bottle at Wally World is $10 to fix an atv tire. Although, if you have a bead leak then it may not work well, according to the manufacturer.

Greg
League City, Texas
1994 Fourtrax 300 4X4
2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Special Edition
1991 Yamaha Big Bear 350
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

ill be getting a battery tender deal when i get the new battery. is something wrong with the dealer batterys?...kentco not being a smart a$$ is it a price thing or are dealer batterys as bad as batteryplus?

greg both my tires are filled with the slime. love that stuff. have holes a just under the bead in one tire on the inside.both totaly bald origanil 05 tires..

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode