fuel economy on rancher? | cvetitula.ru
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

fuel economy on rancher?

Hi.

I am curious as to what you guy's/gals get in fuel economy on your rancher?

I do realize that my rancher is new. However it's guzzling gas, 22KM on a gravel road uses up 1/2 the tank.

2wd mode, and almost never above 3rd gear.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 26 times
Yeah, that is a lot.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 07:45 PM

I just finished using my brand new '10 Rancher at a motorcycle rally for event setup and security. Most of the riding was on grass, gravel, and pavement. I even pulled a small 3x5 trailer during setup to carry the gear. It set at idle from time to time and I drove the fire out of it up to 50 mph at other times. During the 13 days I was there, I put 250 miles on it and used approximately 15 gallons of fuel. That calculates to about 16 mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
I just finished using my brand new '10 Rancher at a motorcycle rally for event setup and security. Most of the riding was on grass, gravel, and pavement. I even pulled a small 3x5 trailer during setup to carry the gear. It set at idle from time to time and I drove the fire out of it up to 50 mph at other times. During the 13 days I was there, I put 250 miles on it and used approximately 15 gallons of fuel. That calculates to about 16 mpg.
That seems like it uses a lot, too. My 660 gets over 20 MPG.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Last edited by Helmut; 06-19-2010 at 09:51 PM.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:48 PM

I think I wasted a lot leaving it running while taking care of issues during setup and security stops. I feel it should get over 20 if it were moving all the time the engine was running. My average miles per hour during the two week period was only 6.5 miles per hour and when I was riding it, I was traveling much faster.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
I think I wasted a lot leaving it running while taking care of issues during setup and security stops. I feel it should get over 20 if it were moving all the time the engine was running. My average miles per hour during the two week period was only 6.5 miles per hour and when I was riding it, I was traveling much faster.
Yeah, that could be it, plus I wasn't pulling a trailer when I figured my mileage.

post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Hi.

Thanks for the input.

16-20 mpg is rather strange for an atv. I've asked around on other atv sites and most claim near 30 mpg for the rancher 420, or even the foreman 500 of normal medium use.

I agree that my 450 KQ, and my 650 outlander max never consumed as much fuel as my rancher, or even a friends 08 foreman 500.

I'l have to contact Honda to see what they say.

I find it odd considering than my 20 year old kawa bayou hauling a 4x5 trailer loads full of wet black earth, or a cord or green birch firewood consumes far less fuel than my rancher, and i am not a light person either.

There is also little weight difference between the bayou and the rancher.

Thanks.

Last edited by nanuk; 06-20-2010 at 08:55 AM.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Rode 65 miles yesterday, mostly gravel F.S roads and logging trails. Got home with a little less than a half tank showing on gauge. Had a 2 1/2 gallon can of gas and used about half of that to top it off. Just a rough estimate.......I'd say 45 to 50 miles per gallon.
Mileage is all in the thumb.
This is a '07 FM with FI. Using Royal Purple syn oil.
I carry a rear rack pack weighing about 50 lbs. and have 25" radial T/C tires.
My wifes '07 TM carries about the same pack, but with stock tires and got the same mileage.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Hi. I did the calculations and in US terms i'm getting at best 7.2 MPG or 3.71 litres per 22km.

It's a little steep even for a new machine.

I'l keep researching.

Thanks again.

My usual speed on a gravel road is 3rd gear and 30-35 KM/H. or 21 MPH.

Trails are usually 2nd gear and below 12mph.

I haven't hauled a trailer load with it yet.

I find it odd that it would consume so much fuel while idle on neutral. With the exception of running the hydraulic pump for the hydrostatic drive.

Thanks again for the input.

Last edited by nanuk; 06-20-2010 at 02:33 PM.
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

7.2 MPG is way too much for a Honda, something has to be wrong.

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode