TRX350FM2, seized rear brake drum | cvetitula.ru
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

TRX350FM2, seized rear brake drum

First posting on this forum.
Rear brake drum is seized after ATV was allowed to setup subsequent to wet ride. ATV is on Jack stands. Front axle turns but rear axle will not turn (even slightly) if I try to rotate the left side tire. Have removed tire/wheel and hub plus disconnected both cables and moved lever to full open position. Lever is not free but can be moved back and forth by tapping with mallet. Tapping drum has had no effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 07:47 AM

It can be a difficult job. Take the cables and arm off the back side of the drum. Try to center the pivot bolt that makes the shoes expand, it'll have splines on it, you'll just have to guess really, but see what happens. Take some propane and heat the drum and where it goes over the hub. Get a bigger hammer and knock the mess out of it repeatedly. Use a chisel and hit the edge of the drum from the back side all the way around. Should start to move in there some where, repeat as necessarily. They can be a bear to get off and when you do, take everything apart, clean and apply a liberal amount of grease before you put it back together. Hope this helps and let us know when you get it.

2002 Rancher 350 FE 4x4
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt reply. Will remove the o-ring and heat drum over the area it makes contact with the shoes. Txrancher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Question: can the TRX350 be retrofitted with disc brakes without major modifications?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 09:52 AM

Liked: 950 times
Rear or front?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking to replace the rear drum brakes on a Trx350 rancher 4x4.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 12:15 PM

Liked: 950 times
This one says it will fit. The reviews on the rear disc brake conversions have been less than great. If someone can figure out a way to modify them to work hydraulically (like the Rincon and Rancher AT) instead of by cable I think they'll be much improved.

Pretty sure that's the SSATV kit. I think their's is the only one on the market.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 12:17 PM

I've seen that kit but don't have it on mine. My rear drum was frozen when I bought my '02 Rancher. I was able to get it off following the procedure I outlined above. I cleaned the backing plate up real good, went with two new cables and new shoes, greased the bolt that expands the shoes and all works well now. In fact, I don't have front brakes and using only the rears works pretty good. One day I'll get the front disc conversion but I'm happy with just the rears for now, don't go very fast on this quad anyway.

2002 Rancher 350 FE 4x4
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 03:46 PM

Liked: 2493 times
Garage
Did you ever get that drum off, here is a pic of my worst case ever, saved the axle, it was one of my 250 rear end mods that I put into a 300, and the axles are a little hard to find

I just put a SuperATV rear disc kit on my 2002 450 Foreman, I have not ridden it yet, the hand brake and the foot pedals feel real good and it will stop it while up on jacks LOL ---------- I have 5 or 6 300's that have the front disc kit and they all work great, I get about 1 year on the brake pads, get them for $25, and happy with a year, my buddy gets 10-20 hours on his Can-Am brake pads, I wouldn't get a year on the drums, we ride just about every weekend but I don't really use the brakes a lot, we are flat down here, the water and dirt is what kills them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: 250 rear end 014.jpg
Views: 207
Size: 983.4 KB
ID: 44537
cmanningjr likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 06:31 PM

Liked: 376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
Did you ever get that drum off, here is a pic of my worst case ever, saved the axle, it was one of my 250 rear end mods that I put into a 300, and the axles are a little hard to find

I just put a SuperATV rear disc kit on my 2002 450 Foreman, I have not ridden it yet, the hand brake and the foot pedals feel real good and it will stop it while up on jacks LOL ---------- I have 5 or 6 300's that have the front disc kit and they all work great, I get about 1 year on the brake pads, get them for $25, and happy with a year, my buddy gets 10-20 hours on his Can-Am brake pads, I wouldn't get a year on the drums, we ride just about every weekend but I don't really use the brakes a lot, we are flat down here, the water and dirt is what kills them

lol, well that's one way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'91 TRX300FW
'86 TRX125 Project

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode