Snowblower attachment pros/cons ? |
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

• 1 Post By Melatv
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Snowblower attachment pros/cons ?

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience using a snowblower attachment on a 420. I have a 2017 Rancher 420 with plow attachment but some of our storms are wet, heavy snow that is hard to push back.

thanks in advance for your comments!
Sponsored Links

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:03 PM

Liked: 31 times
can't help but I'm thinking of getting one too. Ran out of places to push the snow to in mid Feb.

07 Rincon... 26" Mud Bug Rs, 1 1/2" spacers, 2500# Runva winch, Kimpex box, Moose skid plate
07 Rancher 420....Type 5 IPTs w/26" Mud Lites, Moose skid plates & A-arm guards, Viper winch, Kimpex seat, fender guards

Two 06 TRX250EXs.....Tusk nerf bars, swing arm skid plates
85 TRX125.... sadly sold

Haliburton ATV Association - come check out our 1000 miles of trails
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 PM

Liked: 1319 times
first off, have you seen the prices of these things??
save a little more and buy a machine with a front end loader LOL
better investment!
BUT if your set on adding a blower to an ATV< expect this, a LOT of weight and VERY slow goings, and dishing out again a nice chunk of change, and you will be running two motors!, Idling for a LONG amounts of time on a motor is NOT the best thing to do with them
I have seen folks with them, but I honestly don't think its a nod worth doing
buy a BIG walk behind if you dead set on a blower, cheaper and less wear and tear on your atv across the board
or again, back to my first suggestion, buy a nice older used front end loader,, I guarantee you will find more uses for it all yr than you think you will once you have it LOL
where that blower will sit more than its used in MOST places, as snow season isn't that long most places, even in normal snow belt area's its NOT there as often last few yrs!

another tip on plowing with your ATV< is don;t wait till its too deep, push back farther than needed to leave room, and add weight to the atv to help it PUSH better!

17+ yrs plowing with my atv and only 3 storms I couldn;t plow with it, and I Normally get a LOT of snow on average
Got a skid steer now, too LOL
but still use atv to plow at times! LOL
Sponsored Links

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 PM

Liked: 59 times
Hi Viking, I get a lot of snow and have tried different methods. Plowing isn't really an option, as we got something like 65 feet so far this year, with 4 more planned for this weekend. It has to be blown, not pushed.

My Honda walk-behind blower with tracks worked great. It was ~8 hp, cost $2500 new (I got it used, much cheaper), and could blow the snow 40 or more feet. It took 90 minutes to do my driveway and had ~26" stroke, but it could only handle half that in snow deeper than 18". I sold it.

My Kubota yard tractor can push it all away, but like I said, no where to go. I could put a 3 point blower on the back, but they are expensive, plus I would have to drive around backwards. Yuck. But performance would now doubt be exceptional.

I put a blower on my Deere lawnmower, the type that sits in front and runs on a belt. It works great, with some exceptions, and has 48" stroke, of which only 24" is useful in snow deeper than 18". I found it on CL for $600 and can do my driveway in 25 minutes. It is single stage and bogs down if the snow is really wet and heavy. I have some design improvements planned, based on advice from this forum.

I would seriously consider a blower on my quad. My 420 is such a better machine than my yard tractor. Maybe not as maneuverable, but probably not an issue. I haven't priced these, but the other options are expensive too. You can't have too much power rotating the blades, but that all depends on your average daily snowfall. The most negative thing I can think of regarding an ATV for this usage is the trouble to shift into reverse. I do a lot of back and forth moving snow and with the tractor hydraulic transmissions, having a reverse foot pedal is much more convenient than the quad red-lever option for reverse.

2016 Honda TRX420 AT EPS IRS Camo
Fuzzy Dice
Camo duck tape on warning labels
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:11 AM

Liked: 234 times
Hi Menard: You can cheat the Red Button with a piece of hard rubber -- just make a wedge see pictures -- I use this on my bike and other friends bikes without any problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: Red Button wedge placement.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 28.3 KB
ID: 72993 Click image for larger version

Name: Reverse cheater.JPG
Views: 57
Size: 75.7 KB
ID: 73001 Click image for larger version

Name: ATV Red Button Cheater.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 135.3 KB
ID: 73009
Menard_LaPue likes this.

2011 Honda TRX420FPA PG CTE camo EPS
Auto & Electric Shift -- IRS -- Programmed Fuel Injection
25" Kenda K587 Bear Claws HTR
Garmin Montana 600 Ram mount & Rugged mount
2500 Runva Winch
Winter Pak Plus 2/4 Zone Thumb & Hand Warmers

If all the animals run in one direction follow them.

If you can't soar with the Eagles, then run with the Chickens.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:35 AM

Liked: 1580 times
Those things are like $5k, you'd be better off buying an older tractor with a blower on it for that kind of money or not much more.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 27" Bighorn 2.0's
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace

Lower Navigation
Go Back > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode