Snow Plow Recommendations for 2017 Rancher | cvetitula.ru
Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Snow Plow Recommendations for 2017 Rancher

I'm looking for a snow plow and necessary mounting accessories but want to avoid a winch if possible. I've seen hand lift plows before and want to know what I should buy and from whom .

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 431 times
I like KFI you might be happy with a 48 inch Depends on width of your sidewalks but I personally don't like plows over 52-54 inches.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:37 AM

Liked: 1267 times
OK first off, congrats on a new atv soon!
second, I have been plowing with an atv for 20 yrs now
the BEST advice I will give you is BUY a winch and use that as a lift
the hand lift YES they work, but they grow OLD super FAST, and you will wish you had the winch in many other area's of atv ownership

best deal on a winch IMO and a GOOD winch will be a super winch, there plain jane, LT 2000 lb, or LT 2500's can be had MANY many times on sale at places like Cabela;s for under a 100 bucks, my first lt 2000 lasted 15+ yrs before I up graded it to a 3,000 lb one! just cause I found one on sale for 49 bucks new??
old one still works, and its sen a tens of thousands of IN's and OUT;'s plowing snow for so many yrs
and its seen use ALL yr doing many many other things!

hard to beat for the price and aggravation of using a hand lift of plowing snow!

Next will be this, and its fact, the STRONGEST set up plow for an ATV will be the MID mount types,I love my Moose plow, been bullet proof, and I have plowed about 300+ ton of gravel and stone and dirt and?? with it, and it still works as good as day one back in 1999 when I got it!!
I personally say stick to name brand plows, Moose, being MY pick,(I they make and claim the strongest blades on the market too by the way, and they also have there skids very near the corners of there blades which helps in keeping the corner tips from digging into soft ground, if you plow anything that isn't paved or cement, other good plow makers will be the likes of Cycle country,warn IMO)

all set ups have pro's and con's

mid mounts are this,
Pro's strongest set up, displaces weight the most thru your atv, cheapest set up, rather simple to install, just bolt on mid mount plate and your about done/ they dosp[lace weight more on MID area of ATV and NOT all on the front end!
COn's
they lower ground clearance with there mounting tabs
there a little more work to put on and off(I can install mine in maybe 3 minutes or less)
they do NOT lift as high, for driving up things like ramps or over things> and for stacking snow, you have to THINK more with it when stacking snow!

Front mounts,
Pro's
faster on and off, lift way higher, NO ground clearance loss
Con's, cost more, ALL weight is on your front end of the atv, some mounts MIGHT be in the way for SOME winches and the likes

as for size, I would NOT go smaller than a 60 inch blade period
I run an older 400 foreman with a 60 inch blade on it and have never EVER wished I had a smaller blade,. many times I have wished for a larger one

the main reason for wider blades like a 60 over smaller one's to ME, is the fact when you angle them at full angle, you do NOT get as much of a path cleared, and if too small a blade, you can be driving in your plow curl with one side of tires, which can result in loss of traction, or packing down snow making it even harder to remove, as once you drive on it, it doesn't clean as well as !
with a wider blade you don't have this, it leaves you more room to push snow off the sides, and with a WINCH to lift the blade, you can even lift slightly and plow even farther off the sides without running over things to do so!

you will also get the job done faster with a larger plow blade, and 60 inches is about the perfect size for an ATV plow IMO

I again, have yrs of plowing on an atv, a 60 inch plow blade at full angle is 53.5 inches
a 50 inch blade is just 44 inches at full angle, how wide is your atv at outside of front tires??
and you can start to see why a 60 makes good sense< and a 500 has more than enough power to push snow with a 60!
MY 2 cents here LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Which plow, winch and necessary accessories do you recommend? Who should I purchase them from. I see I cannot buy them directly from Moose.

FYI I already have a Richochet front guard ordered to protect my front boots from corn stubble.

Thank you!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I assume the Richocet guard won't get in the way of a future plow or winch, right?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:20 PM

I cannot say on the Richocet guards, don't have them

as for where to BUY the plow at? you can always do an internet search and price shop, or you can, just go to your dealer, they can get it I HAVE to think.
as for what plow, like I said, its going to be up to you, as to which mount set up you want

but if it was me, I would get a moose standard 60 inch blade, NOT the country one, that is taller on one side than the other!

and then from there again, what ever set up you want, be it a front mount or mid mount?

if you want the strongest cheapest set up, the mid mount, if you want the more user friendly set up, get the front mount

as for what winch,MAN that is a loaded question and most WINCH topic's get a lot of heated views, as many are super loyal it seem to "X" brand, or others are cheap and claim cheapest is just as good

ME< and this is MY OPINION< I have never had a single issue with my super winch brand winches, customer service, has been over the top GREAT, when ever I have contacted them( plowing over time will wear out switches, and I have contacted them on them as they wore out, and to date they have given me several; for FREE, and many times got me them NEXT DAY too)

if ALL you ever will do is LIFT the plow blade, there plain jane LT 2,000- LT 2,500 will be more than enough to do the job and NOT set you back much money,
as for a winch, mount, most folks seem to have very good luck withe KFI brand mounts

winches in general, IMO come to this train of thought, some folks think CHEAP ( Harbor freight or that likes)and replace as needed is better than buying a TOP of the line model(AKA< WARN, also the highest priced too)
ME< IMO< again I have had nothing but good luck with several super winch brand one's I have owned(several of trucks and jeeps over the yrs too)
BUT Honestly I think if you STICK to BRAND name winches, you should be FINE, say, Super winch, Ramsey, Mile Marker, and of course WARN!
you can price shop on EBay, or ATV online stores and find the best deal

Cabela's runs a LOT of sales on both Super Winch and WARN"S, if you have one of there stores close by?

Other food for thought is going to be this, WHEN using a winch to lift a plow blade the number one issue folks have is BREAKING the winch line, this is caused by 2 main things, one, repetitive bending of STEEL line(wire rope) it will start to wear on the line,
OR when you have damaged line from?????

and THEN< you OVER IN< the line and SNAP POP the line breaks at where ever there is a flaw.
2 trains of thought come into play here,
one many folks switch to Synthetic wine rope, and will get MUCH longer life out of it when plowing, due to it BENDS better.

but SYN line adds costs to things, so many times the budget has a say in things,

50 ft of wire rope, can be had for about 10-15 bucks
I run wire rope, just works better for what all I do with my winching needs
I replace the wire rope about every 2-3 yrs

50 ft of GOOD syn line is about 4050+ bucks pending when and what brand you buy, some are even more!

BUT BOTH can SNAP< if you have a flaw in them and OVER, IN! the line

the key to plowing with a winch to lift your plow blade is NOT to OVER IN the line.

folks will say you can tie syn line back on your hook if it breaks and be back up and running,
WELL< the same can be done with wire, I have done so, countless times over the yrs plowing, takes me about a minute to re loop on my hook and GO< NO tools really needed either

doesn't look pretty, but works and does the job, when time is better I can re do better and more neatly,
but when plowing, its for me all about just getting going as fast as possible.

if you have super deep pockets
the ultimate set up, is a V plow and electric agitators to angle things, all then can be done from the seat never having to get off the atv, the V blade will let you plow in even deeper snow and make working snow better when you can make the blade into a scoop.

BUT a full set up will run you about $1800+
as to a basic plow winch for about $600.00 or less
and these are just GUESSES on prices' haven't look at exact prices in a while

a super winch and a mount should be about 175, plow and mid mount, about 400 give or take??
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:56 PM

Liked: 1474 times
Garage
I like the Warn front mounts. I don't like anything hanging down under the bike, I don't care how far.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 27" Bighorn 2.0's
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm still a bit stunned with all the option and mounts for the different model years. Many sites don't list 2017. Who is a good internet retailer that I can chat or call to get straight what winch, plow and mounts I need for my Rancher?

Will just any 2000 or 3000 lbs atv winch work with the right mount?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Gentlemen,

If I purchase this winch, what else do I need to mound it to my Rancher? A special winch mounting plate??

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 PM

yes you will need a vehicle specific mount for YOUR year make and model atv,
KFI again seems to be the name most guys buy, MOST all winches have the same bolt pattern and spacing, from the 1500lbs to maybe the 3500 lbs one, once bigger things tend to change on mounting holes

but Warn, and all the winch makers should also sell there own mounting brackets too if you like to go that way??
KFI SHOULD be cheaper in price but just as good in quality!

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode