Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Goober
  • 1 Post By TRX2fiveO
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Which carb do I need?

Hey everybody! I just picked up a 2009 trx90 for my son's upgrade. This trx sat for 2 years and I'm preparing a thorough cleaning of the carb and fuel lines. I am considering a new one vs a cleaning, I'm worried, as I'm new to tinkering with carbs, I'm not afraid to mess up or lose pieces, I want a back up plan and have a carb in mind before I jump in. Rockymountainatv has 1 part number that replaces 2 different part numbers. Any thoughts? Any pointers for me before I jump in to a disassembly and cleaning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
By the way, it really only starts when choke is fully engaged, but only idles when choke is off. Hesitation when I slowly engage the throttle, and dies out when I really hit the throttle.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 08:52 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 468 times
Try cleaning the old one itís about a 2 on a scale of 1-10.
Get some Berrymans Chemtool and a half gallon plastic tub with lid. Nitrile gloves. Pipe cleaners and cotton swabs.
Follow the instructions in the service manual and donít throw anything away. Use screwdrivers with good bits some of those screws may be tight.
Brettski likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 365 times
Garage
I agree ^^^ the carb is really simple. . . just lie everything out on a clean white cloth in case you drop something the cloth will keep it from bouncing into never never land. I do suggest removing the snorkel tube from the air box. Honda's way of saying "I'm restricting you" lol it helps with the throttle response greatly. From what I am understanding, it seems your idle circuit is probably stopped up. remove the fuel mixture screw and clean that orifice really good, be mindful of any small parts and their order that come out with that screw too, it should be a tiny spring and washer? When you install it carefully seat the screw and back it out 2 turns. The initial factory opening is 1 7/8 so 2 will be good. The main jet is an 82 and the slow is a 40 if you do not feel like they can be cleaned? I would also bump the 82 to a 85 Honda builds these machines to be a little leaner from the factory. The float needle is easy to clean just make sure the rubber tip doesn't have any indentations on it and is clean. Take a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol and swab the float needle seat to remove any impurities left by the wonderful ethanol we have at our pumps. If you would like you can pick up a carb kit, its relatively inexpensive so that you would have new O-rings and such. I think it would make things a little easier for you too. Good luck and keep us posted.
Brettski likes this.

"MOOSE WAGON "
00 TRX400EX aka "MOOSE ROCKET"
91 TRX250X aka "MOOSE WAGON" RETIRED
96 Polaris 400L sport (Mrs. Moose Ride)
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
96 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer (daughters)
06 TRX450ER aka === Under construction

Progress and Help
PM FOR MANUAL HELP
JETTING
Service_Manual_Downloads
2000_400EX_Build
400EX_Pivot_Bolt_
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You guys are very helpful, thanks. Carb came off last night and the chambers all looked clean. I disassembled the major components without removing any needles, jets or adjustment screws. The filter screen was clean. The fiber gasket is really stuck to the manifold cover and carb. How can I clean that up? I will probably invest in the rebuild kit just to do some maintenance while the carb is out. I am a little unsure as to what may be considered wear or damage on a jet or needle. Having a rebuild kit will probably help me learn by looking at a new one vs an old one. Will a gasket scraper get that gasket off? Or soaking it in carb cleaner will help peel it off?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 09:38 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 468 times
I recommend you don’t scrape anything with metal or abrasives; use a flattened or splintered piece of the bamboo handle on a swab. That will get into the groove of the seal

yes the carb cleaner will loosen it up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode