400ex worth it, compared to everything else out there? | cvetitula.ru
Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 4 times
400ex worth it, compared to everything else out there?

I used to have a 2005 400ex that i bought brand new. I kept it for 5 years before trading it for an 05 450r.

I had a 450r front shocks, K&N air filter, full fmf exhaust, hot cam stage 1, and rev box installed on my EX. I still wanted to go faster so thats why i traded my EX for an R.

I did a little bit of trail riding on the R but not much.

So here it goes, I want to get a new wheeler soon. I cant make up my mind on wether or not to get another sport quad, or a sporty 4x4. I already have a rzr for 4by situations. I just really like to ride wheelies, hit some small jumps. I ride dirt roads, rocky, muddy trails. a few sand pits. my main question is when the time comes to get a new atv, i was looking at the 2012 400ex. is it worth getting another EX... er X? i like the price of the X, and the price of the new yamaha yfz 450.

I am fairly mechanically inclined and i love to wrench on things, just dont need to be replacing pistons every 50 hours or so. will someone point me in the right direction?

If I was going to buy a 450 for trail riding, i think i would go with a kfx 450 due to the fact it has reverse. I sat on one, but didnt like the seat (there are fixes for that)

thanks for any replies
Sponsored Links

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 PM

Liked: 1 times
if you want something to just jump on and ride get a 400 not a 450,the 400ex and the z400 are great quads if i were you i would decide between those 2,the 450 has tight tolerances and no matter how you look at it the motor will wear out faster than the 400 motors but if you are looking for speed the 450 is the quad you will want,the z400 is very zipie for a 400 i think the stock compression ratio of the piston is 11:1,and not to mention when 450 motors blow its about $1000 or more to rebuild the motor

2004 400ex

yoshimura slip on
uni filter
426 kit
moose bars
dg bumper
msr clutch
itp c-series rims
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Im just having a complex on really wanting anything other than a Honda. i know i have a polaris........... I also have an 07 300ex. more of a dust collector at the moment. I ride it once in a while, but i lose interest in it being under suspended, and lack of power. however it is fun on tight woods.

I know these are two different machines, but im looking at the 400X and the new Foreman 500. maybe I can do both. haha
Sponsored Links

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM

I have a 400ex and a yfz 450 I like the 400ex better for trail riding due to the low end power and being able to lug the engine down when needed.My 400 is an old one and does not have reverse but that would make it even better on trails.

07 Foreman 500
04 250ex
06 yamaha Wolverine 450
03 recon
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 PM

Liked: 29 times
Maybe check out a used trx700x, it won't handle quite as quickly as your old ex i would imagine from being heavier and IRS, but it would be allot of fun, and a good dependable engine from the old xr650r..On the other side of the fence is the Yamaha Raptor 700,,another fun fast quad that will handle more like what your used too, but have a bigger boost in torque and power and still be a good reliable trail quad,,it is the same basic engine used in the Grizzly 700 but set up differently of course, but not as high strung as a 450,so it will last a long time also with good maintenance...The Z400 like was mentioned is another good one,,easily modded to run faster than snot if you want them too, and based on an enduro bike engine, and used on street bikes as well..so that says allot about their durability also...you really can't go wrong with any of them, or even just another stock like new 400ex if that is what your comfortable with.

05 Suzuki DR650, Mikuni TM40 flatslide pumper carb,JE 10.5:1 piston,stage 2#190 Webcam,open airbox, Twin Air,full FMF system,Pingel fuel valve,Ricor Racing rear shock, Ricor Racing fork Intiminators, Progressive springs, Sargeant seat,DRZ250 tailight,custom plate,LED's,GPS,sumo fender,PT bars,Cycra brushguards IMS lowered pegs, aluminum skid,bearing chain roller,Pirelli,tank bag(gone)

06 Zuk KQ700, Kenda Bearclaw HTR radials Warn RT25 w/ syn. line, 1.5mm clutch shims
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:49 PM

My vote goes for the 700xx. Lots of power,reverse,excellent ride and 11 INCHES of clearence. They do need a aftermarket fuel programmer(yes they are EFI) You will be yelling YEEEE-HAWWWW before you get out of 3rd gear

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I wish I could get excited over the 700XX. I just cant get past how ugly that thing is. Its too bad that they dont make it look more 450/400 ish. Otherwise it all sounds good on paper. I hope they are giving it a new nose job and thats why it isnt being offered for 2010-2012
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Let us know what you come up with!

2000 400EX
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Its going to be a while before anything happens. my gf doesnt want to hear about which wheeler i want, or know which one i should get. lol. next friday is the due date for our first child. so looking forward to that
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:58 PM

Go with the 400ex. It's a fact you'll get better the more you ride. On a particular race at Abbott MX in Lincoln, NE (it was part trail/part track) where 400's AND 450's raced together I was able to keep the lead on my stock (just a slip on pipe) 400ex for just over the first lap. That's even after popping a wheelie at the start. Eventually the 450's slowly passed me. The poor suspension quickly took its toll on my bones. You can upgrade the suspension, a arms, sprockets etc to make it more race ready. The deciding factor in MY opinion is the longevity of its engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode