What are the pros/cons of nerf bars??? | cvetitula.ru
Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

What are the pros/cons of nerf bars???

Hey guy's I have never owned a quad/fourtrax before. This is my first.
It seems like everybody is running nerf bars. So what's the advantage? I am guessing it is to keep ur feet from coming off the peg's and gettin chewed up by the rears? Any other benefit?
Again I have never owned an ATV so don't beat me up too bad

Lexx MXe Exhaust
Uni air filter
Alba nerfs
Tag T2 bars
Sponsored Links

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 721 times
They do exactly what you stated above. But they also help protect your feet from other things on the trail coming up and hitting your foot or leg. For me they helped a lot with confidence railing corners and hitting bigger jumps. They also look good on the quad and they give you a good handle to grab when flipping the quad back over. But that goes both ways because they can also pin your leg to the ground in a bad roll over(from experiance lol). Hope this helps!

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:05 PM

They help protect you and your quad. I can't think of any reason not to run them, except what slammed just pointed out

Sponsored Links

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 PM

Liked: 1 times
the only cons Ive had over the years with nerfs are these

pain in the azz if your quad dosnt have reverse (cant just put feet down and flinstone it)

have had netting catch on obsticles...(did a high speed 180 thanx to a cyrus needle-not fun)

thats about it for cons honestly

they have saved me numerous times and Ive had the inevatable nerfs resting on foot/leg in a rollover but im a gorilla so no harm done... if you got for nerfs spend the money on some quality ones, or even used quality ones, and invest in heel guards if the nerfs dont have them built in.

86 310R my whip
FASST/LEATT/GBC motorsports/Dynamic Graphics/ alba/blingstar/motionpro/rolldesign/HRE

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:24 PM

iv had feet slip before with no nerfs. not fun . glad i was going slow. highly recommend them.

1987 TRX250X Fourtrax
-Customized stock exhaust
-Uni filter
-Working on the rest.........

2000 TRX400EX
-FMF Powercore 4 exhaust
-FMF PowerBomb header
-Honda Racing nerf bars
-K&N air filter
-Aluminum airbox w/o lid
-Fly Racing bars
-Moose case saver
-AC Racing bumper
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 AM

Like stated above they will protect u and your quad...

My wifes 300ex would be tore up without nerfs I just put brand new plastics and a amr graphics kit on it along with new shoes all the way around.....anyways first ride she rolled it hard only damage was her pride and handle bars the nerfs saved her fenders ...second trip out a friend rolled it into the trees....again the nerfs saved the quad....

Ive had my nerfs save me from hooking a tree with my rear tire wich would have really hurt

The only cons ive experienced r sticks can get caught in the webbing I have gotten a nerf snagged on a stump and stop me real fast and find that they can be a bit of a pain in the deep rutted uneven trails
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 5 times
I run nerfs but no heel guards on my race quad. The gap between my nerfs and rear fender is barely big enough to fit my boot through. It would have to be one wicked twist up to get my leg through there.

Thank you to my 2012 Sponsors:
Dynamic Graphics, Inc.
Aurora Honda
LoneStar Racing
Fox Shox
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Ok so I'm (newbie) looking at Nerf Bars for my 400 Sportrax (2004).

Amazon has these listed "Pro Armor H011489BL ProAm Sport Series Black Nerf Bar" at $132.00 delivered. I confirmed with ProAm they will fit 400ex

Any ideas if these will fit over Stock setup for my quad?

Do I need to get Heel guards too?

Anything I'm missing but the brain cells that were already gone?

Mostly trail riding but as my son (13) get more experieinced I can see him trying out tracks.

2005 Kawasaki Mule (slow but can go anywhere you can and it hasn't hurt me)

2004 SPORTRAX 400EX (Faster and I hope it doesn't hurt me)

Oh ya and my wifes 2007 Jeep Wrangler

Last edited by cellmate; 08-24-2012 at 05:37 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:00 PM

They are also good if you ride tight trails in the woods. They slide around the trunks of the trees and prevent you from getting stuck unless it's a really tight spot.

When in doubt, Wind it out!
'07 400EX
'87 TRX250R
'06 LTR450

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode