2005 Honda 440EX Motor Work Questions | cvetitula.ru
Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

2005 Honda 440EX Motor Work Questions

Hey guys-
I was riding my 400EX (Which has the Wiseco 440 Big Bore Kit in it along with a ton of other mods) last week when I let off the gas and started to hear a ticking. I immediately shut it down and pushed it home. Tore it down, came to find out the spring in the timing chain tensioner broke, thus the chain slipped a couple teeth and took out my intake valves.
This quad has been smoking for a while, so I figured that while I was that far I may as well do rings. Came to find out their are tiny scratches in the cylinder wall (big enough to feel with a fingernail) which are more than likely causing the smoking. Now it looks like time for a rebuild- I bought the quad used like it is, so Im guessing somebody prior to me ingested dirt somewhere along the way. No big deal.
I'm not sure what to do now though. Should I have the cylinder bored again, and if so, does anybody make rings for a .040 over sleeve that's been rebored again to say a 445 or 450? I don't really want to have to buy a complete new piston kit as the piston (12.5:1) is still good. Or, should I just buy a new sleeve and drop it in myself. I have found Namura 440 sleeves online (89mm) for around 70 bucks- it seems wiseco won't sell the sleeve only.
Is there anything else I should do while its all apart to pick up more power though? I'm planning on cleaning up the ports and knifing the intake bridge. I've also read that hardened rockers and springs can help- I have access to temperature chambers to do this. Would it be worth it? Any performance tips are appreciated- I do a lot of mx racing with it, and it's hard enough as it was to keep up with the 450's at the track. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Liked: 32 times
There is no bigger bore than the 89mm. I would probably resleeve it and rering your piston. For modifications a aftermarket camshaft and bigger carb help alot
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider13 View Post
There is no bigger bore than the 89mm. I would probably resleeve it and rering your piston. For modifications a aftermarket camshaft and bigger carb help alot
I thought their was a 463 kit as well? Or is that a stroker? In addition, I forgot to mention the quad already has a stage 2 hotcam and its been jetted appropriately with the choke removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 55 times
Welcome to da forums... I'd resleeve,and do all the head work that can be done along with p&p,multi angle valve job,new valves,new timing chain(450r chain),new tensioner,thinner head gasket,possibly mill the head...The rockers are already hardened,but cold induction hardening would increase their durability along with their strength...Upgrading the springs,retainers,cam profile,a larger intake,and stepping up on the carb size,installing a larger oil cooler,plus a fan would all net you some hp gains...

FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://cvetitula.ru/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://cvetitula.ru/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Never been on these forums before, its quite nice.

What does the 450r chain do for the quad as opposed to the stock one? As for the resleeve, it looks like that's what I'll be doing. Who makes good sleeves for these things? Or is the Namura a good product? But I will be doing a nice P&P job on the intake side of things and a small porting on the exhaust side as well... possibly a multi angle valve job as well, but I like to to do work myself and I'm not quite sure how to do that yet lol. Does anyone know where I can get stiffer springs for this?

I've also been wondering about slapping on the 450r top end so that I can get the DOHC out of it... I'm guessing this won't bolt up to the 450r gearbox though?

Thanks for your help though guys!

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode