Newbie refurbing a 96 TRX300 | cvetitula.ru
New Member Introductions If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

19Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 6 times
Newbie refurbing a 96 TRX300

Hi all,

I found this forum looking for info about my inherited 300. Sat up for many years and apparently had some strange mods done to it. Tank appears to be from a 350 Rancher based on the petcock mounting and a few other oddities. So, I suppose I am here for support from some of the resident experts on getting this baby rolling again. I found this to be a great forum full of knowledgeable folks. Thanks to all that take time to answer questions.

I cut my teeth working on early 80's Red 4Trax with my grandfather. He worked at Ford and ran a personal farm, so I learned from a fella that could do more with duct tape and bailing wire than McGuyver could do with a pineapple and a paperclip. That said, I only have workaround experience because he rigged everything with a moving part, and I have no real knowledge about much more than how it works and holding a flashlight still. I can use the heck out of Google though!

I currently have the carb broken down and sitting in gas until my rebuild kit arrives. I found that the plastic shroud on the petcock has broken down to sludge sitting in the tank, so I am trying to figure out if I have to get the OEM petcock and fuel valve assembly or whether I can get one of the cheap replacements. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 660 times
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like the tank, petcock and fuel line needs cleaned out. You can replace the petcock assembly if it is bad. You'll probably need to disassemble the carb for a thorough cleaning too. Beware of cheap carb kits though... they are usually useless china garbage. Shindy makes a decent kit for it I think.... but save all of your original parts in case you need them later.

You can get a copy of the service manual to use for reference and the parts fiche for it is . There are a lot of knowledgeable 300 owners here that can help you. Start a project thread for your 300 in the Builds forum if you wish... we'd all love to see some photos too!
alloutdoors likes this.

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:21 PM

Liked: 2435 times
Garage
bullfoot, welcome to the forums, congratulations on your inheritance ---------a pic is worth a thousand words, show us how you can fit a 350 tank on a 300 ! ------- cleaning the carb with out cleaning the tank, can be like brushing your teeth with toilet water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay. National Championship took precedence over getting in the garage.

I appreciate the info retro and fishfiles. Here is a picture before I started on anything. Excuse the mess in the garage, we still aren't out of boxes completely after moving. I have to share the garage with the wife, which is difficult, but she likes football, beer, and firearms. I won't kick a lady out of the garage that is into those things.

Jeepwm69 likes this.

Last edited by bullfoot; 01-10-2018 at 10:44 AM.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:09 AM

Liked: 907 times
Welcome to the forum.

I too, am interested in this tank setup you have.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

I don't suppose you can see the gas tank that well in the photo. It is one of the plastic Clarke tanks. I base my assumption that it belongs on a 350 on the way the petcock bolts on shown below. Mine has two bolts on the side as opposed to what I have seen out of 300's where the petcock has a single bolt on the center. Is that not typical?

Above the fuel valve you see how the plastic shroud around the petcock completely disintegrated? I was shocked at that and the amount of varnish in the tank itself. Any suggestion on the right solution to clean the tank out best?
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Photo of the tank

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 PM

Pics aren't working for me. Tries to get me to set up a Gmail account.....
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

None of the pictures work?
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 03:35 PM

Not for me. Says click image for full size, and when I do it wants me to open a gmail account.

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode