First post, I think? | cvetitula.ru
New Member Introductions If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

11Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 3 times
First post, I think?

Began to post recently and was directed here, my original may not have made the grade.

Anyhow, I have just acquired a 93' trx300fw in pretty great cosmetic condition. Oils looked clean without burn signs or smells.

Turned the key on and no dash lights so I figured the battery dead, .01 VDC, it's toast.

Flipped the compression release lever (csl) for kick starting and the kick lever went down effortlessly. Noted the csl did not return to the down position so I flipped it down and again the kick start lever went down effortlessly.

I put the transmission in gear and the machine jumped forward with some kick start lever resistance.

My brother in law took it on trade and basically gave me the machine so I figure it's worth fooling with, I need 2 quads for work anyhow.

Here's what I've done and observed so far.

1) I removed the valve covers and checked both the operation of the compression release lever (works properly, opens exhaust valve) and timing chain movement. The timing chain moved when I turned the reduction wheel counter clockwise but not when I kicked it.

2) I removed the head cover and inspected the valves for any issues with springs or apparent broken/missing parts. Visually looks good.

3) Next I loosened the tensioner bolts without retracting the tensioner mechanism. Reason was I wanted to see if there was much pressure on the timing chain as there was a wee bit of slack but not much when I inspected the chain. A new chain may or may not be warranted but contingent on what's next.

4) Next step was removing the sprocket, the cam and suspending the chain from wire.

5) I then removed the head and inspected the valves visually. No burned seats, bends, there's some carbon build up but nothing excessive.

6) If I place tension on the timing chain the piston works normally.

My next step is cleaning all of the parts and measuring the barrel, piston, cam, valves etc.

I guess my question is, if everything measures out good, what's your opine on the low compression issue?

I may decide to put in new gaskets and reassemble the engine. (That's contingent on the measurements.) Buy a new battery and do a compression test, see if it starts and call it good for a bit.

Or

I may decide to do a real rebuild now rather than later.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 454 times
Garage
First off welcome to the forums! And take this for what its worth as i know nothing about utility quads. Expecially ones that have electric start and kicker back up. But here are the things that jump out at me from reading your post. First i wonder if you actually had zero compression because to me it sounds like the kick start wasnt turning the motor over at all. Which would also explain why the decomp lever didnt reset. And also why you said turning the reduction gear moved the cam and timing chain but the kick start didnt. I would think it should. The part that has me scratching my head is the fact you put it in gear and moved the kick start and it moved the quad forward. That would tell me its making a connection to something for sure. I wonder if there is a type or starter clutch or one way bearing that turns the crank when you kick it over and that is going bad? Or the reduction gears that connect the crank to the kick start are missing teeth or broken in some way? I may have completely miss understood what you were saying and if i did just ignore my input lol. Wouldnt offend me in any way. Im a sport quad guy. Just my .02

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 660 times
Hello, welcome to the forums!

I'm interested in your previous posting issue... were you instructed by software to try posting again? Was it an automated moderation notice, or was it something else? If we have something going on preventing new members from posting we'd like to know, so it can be fixed. Thanks.

Now for your TRX300FW questions... which I'm not sure that I understand your issues completely. Are you saying the kick starter does not crank the motor over when kicked?

EDIT: oops... didn't see your reply SlammedRanger

Last edited by retro; 01-11-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 454 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Hello, welcome to the forums!

I'm interested in your previous posting issue... were you instructed by software to try posting again? Was it an automated moderation notice, or was it something else? If we have something going on preventing new members from posting we'd like to know, so it can be fixed. Thanks.

Now for your TRX300FW questions... which I'm not sure that I understand your issues completely. Are you saying the kick starter does not crank the motor over when kicked?

EDIT: oops... didn't see your reply SlammedRanger

Haha no worries! Great minds think alike! And he is in way better hands with you on this one. Ill grab my popcorn and stay tuned lol
XplicitRacing6 likes this.

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

LOL, well two heads are better than one, I always say. Popcorn sounds good though... be right back...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 3 times
I was directed here by the mods and don't know if my thread was allowed untill I followed prodical.

I live a ways from town and wasn't prepared with a new battery, the quad was delivered on a weekend and I still haven't gone to town for a battery.

I don't go to town very often so....

When I unloaded the quad I don't know if the compression release was engaged or not but I pushed it off in gear without a lot of force, I could engage the transmission and move it with or without the plug in it before I tore into the motor.

I first thought the compression release was broken but discovered that not to be the case.

Second thought was the one way bearing in the kick start or flywheel was bad. After a little tinkering and testing I have doubt this is the case.

Since the piston looks good and there's no scratches or evidence of damage to the sleeve I'm wondering why my compression would seem to be so low.

Granted, I jumped the gun and dove in prior to getting a battery and doing a compression test so I'm asking questions of more knowledgeable persons. That be you guys!

I am a troubleshooter in an unrelated field so I'm used to performing tests and know better, I'll be more patient next time.

I haven't done anything that can't be undone for minimal cost, new gaskets and reassemble. New battery and start with a compression test or I can ask of you to play devil's advocate and play 20 questions.

1) what's the possibility my valves were out of adjustment which caused a lack of compression?
2) could this be caused by excess slack in the timing chain?
3) out of spec piston, rings, sleeve?
4) bad one way bearings in either the kick start or flywheel?

Just asking for the odds are or direction to move in.

As of right now I'm inclined to clean it up and reassemble the engine and start with a battery.

Thanks
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 453 times
Hi and welcome!
I am thinking perhaps you didn’t do the compression test as described in the service manual. If you mentioned that you did, I missed it.
Quad in unknown condition can be confounding—no stuck valve? at this point may as well rebuild it?
BTW you shouldn’t be able to move it easily while in gear

Last edited by Goober; 01-11-2018 at 10:42 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
1) what's the possibility my valves were out of adjustment which caused a lack of compression?
2) could this be caused by excess slack in the timing chain?
3) out of spec piston, rings, sleeve?
4) bad one way bearings in either the kick start or flywheel?
1) An overly tight valve adjustment that holds a valve open, a burned/worn out valve/seat/guide or a stuck or bent valve can lead to low or no compression.

2) Excess slack in the timing chain can lead to the chain jumping teeth on the sprockets, which results in the valvetrain being out of time. So yes, if the chain jumped over one or more teeth you'd lose compression... and possibly bend a valve head if one of them is open and contacts the rising piston.

3) Certainly, if cylinder/piston/rings wear (or damage) becomes serious enough you can have a loss of compression so great that the motor will not run.

4) A bad one way bearing can "slip" when using the kickstarter, which results in the kickstarter will not crank over the motor. Is your motor cranking over when you use the kickstarter? Or no..?

A blown head gasket, a warped or cracked head, a broken rocker arm, broken chain, broken cam, broken crankshaft/connecting rod, plugged intake or exhaust port etc... can also cause a loss of compression.

I still don't know the answer to this question so please excuse my ignorance... Does your motor crank over using the kickstarter, or no?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:16 AM

Liked: 2435 times
Garage
welcome from another 300 guy, Retro beat me to the " one way bearing being bad " or as Slammed' says, something isn't right if the decompression lever didn't reset
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 10:45 AM

Liked: 52 times
Welcome!
If you could post a couple of pics, that may help as well...

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Discussions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode