trx450r clutch mod? - Page 2 | cvetitula.ru
Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:32 PM

Liked: 14 times
One of the biggest clutch issues I've encountered on 450R's, on both mine and customers, is a grooved basket. This is caused from the plates lashing against the basket. One sure sign of a grooved basket is the "creep" you'll experience when the quad is in gear with the clutch pulled in, and the quad will creep or lurch forward when you stab the throttle. After dealing with stock, Hinson, Moose, and Wiseco baskets, I would highly recommend the Wiseco. With the other brands, the friction plates tend to fit looser, giving them more room to lash back and forth. With the Wiseco basket, the plates fit much tighter, actually scraping the sides of the openings as you install the plates. Another problem you may experience with ANY 450R clutch basket is worn cushions. These are the rubber insulators which go between the basket and the drive gear. These tend to shrink or break down over time and lets the basket move back and forth more than it should, and will also act like a grooved basket. Unfortunately, these are not available from either Honda or any of the aftermarket companies yet. If yours are worn, the only way to get them is to buy a new stock basket, grind the drive gear rivits off and use the gear and cushions with your aftermarket basket.

2014 CRA Senior II and Buckeye Series champ
2012 CRA Senior II champ
2011 CRA Senior II and Buckeye series Harescramble Champion
2009 CRA Senior II and Buckeye series champ.
2007 CRA Senior II, and Buckeye series Harescramble Champ.

2007 TRX450R
2005 TRX450R
2004 TRX450R
2003 Lonestar 250R
2001 Lonestar 250R.....now a 310
1986 TRX250R (restored to new)
1986 TRX250R (still in pieces)
1999 CR500
1999 CR250
1996 CR250
1986 ATC250R
1975 MR50
1999 Banshee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 AM

i guess i need to do this to my 450r also lol sounds like a good idea
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=rich250rracer;179170]One of the biggest clutch issues I've encountered on 450R's, on both mine and customers, is a grooved basket. This is caused from the plates lashing against the basket. One sure sign of a grooved basket is the "creep" you'll experience when the quad is in gear with the clutch pulled in, and the quad will creep or lurch forward when you stab the throttle. After dealing with stock, Hinson, Moose, and Wiseco baskets, I would highly recommend the Wiseco. With the other brands, the friction plates tend to fit looser, giving them more room to lash back and forth. With the Wiseco basket, the plates fit much tighter, actually scraping the sides of the openings as you install the plates. Another problem you may experience with ANY 450R clutch basket is worn cushions. These are the rubber insulators which go between the basket and the drive gear. These tend to shrink or break down over time and lets the basket move back and forth more than it should, and will also act like a grooved basket. Unfortunately, these are not available from either Honda or any of the aftermarket companies yet. If yours are worn, the only way to get them is to buy a new stock basket, grind the drive gear rivits off and use the gear and cushions with your aftermarket basket.[/QUOT

I plan on doing the clutch mod removing the judder springs and so on. But if i get the Wiseco will this affect it because it keeps the plates tighter? I like being sure of what i do before i do it and wanna know more about the basket in comparison to the mod. Both seem ideal but if the mod makes it tigher and so does the basket.. Can it bee too tight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Liked: 14 times
[QUOTE=farmracing;180354]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich250rracer View Post
One of the biggest clutch issues I've encountered on 450R's, on both mine and customers, is a grooved basket. This is caused from the plates lashing against the basket. One sure sign of a grooved basket is the "creep" you'll experience when the quad is in gear with the clutch pulled in, and the quad will creep or lurch forward when you stab the throttle. After dealing with stock, Hinson, Moose, and Wiseco baskets, I would highly recommend the Wiseco. With the other brands, the friction plates tend to fit looser, giving them more room to lash back and forth. With the Wiseco basket, the plates fit much tighter, actually scraping the sides of the openings as you install the plates. Another problem you may experience with ANY 450R clutch basket is worn cushions. These are the rubber insulators which go between the basket and the drive gear. These tend to shrink or break down over time and lets the basket move back and forth more than it should, and will also act like a grooved basket. Unfortunately, these are not available from either Honda or any of the aftermarket companies yet. If yours are worn, the only way to get them is to buy a new stock basket, grind the drive gear rivits off and use the gear and cushions with your aftermarket basket.[/QUOT

I plan on doing the clutch mod removing the judder springs and so on. But if i get the Wiseco will this affect it because it keeps the plates tighter? I like being sure of what i do before i do it and wanna know more about the basket in comparison to the mod. Both seem ideal but if the mod makes it tigher and so does the basket.. Can it bee too tight?
Judder spring has nothing to do with how the plates fit the basket. The judder spring affects the engagement of the clutch, it doesn't tighten anything up. In my opinion, if you can notice the difference between the judder spring removed and the judder installed, I'd be really surprised. I've done this mod for a few customers and after riding theirs, and both my 04 and 07 (judders still in), I cannot see any difference. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference, but my quads get ridden and raced on a regular basis, and I think clutch action and clutch life are fine with the judder left in.

2014 CRA Senior II and Buckeye Series champ
2012 CRA Senior II champ
2011 CRA Senior II and Buckeye series Harescramble Champion
2009 CRA Senior II and Buckeye series champ.
2007 CRA Senior II, and Buckeye series Harescramble Champ.

2007 TRX450R
2005 TRX450R
2004 TRX450R
2003 Lonestar 250R
2001 Lonestar 250R.....now a 310
1986 TRX250R (restored to new)
1986 TRX250R (still in pieces)
1999 CR500
1999 CR250
1996 CR250
1986 ATC250R
1975 MR50
1999 Banshee

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode