Riding in Taylor Park, Colorado | cvetitula.ru
Places to Ride This section contains information and reviews on Places to Ride, ATV Trails, and more!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1468 times
Riding in Taylor Park, Colorado

Hi Everyone, I group of us will be riding in the Taylor Park area, near Gunnison, Colorado in a few weeks. This is an extraordinary place to ride with trails that will suit just about everyone - and the trails go from easy to 'quite challenging'. The trails take you over all types of terrain (not mud), over passes that are more than 12,000 feet in altitude, and give you opportunities to experience views of more than 100 miles in every direction. This is a place that I would recommend to anyone who is adventurous and who has a utility atv or a 2-seat side by side. Here is one of the best articles that I have seen which describes the area and the experience:

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer

Last edited by kentco; 08-17-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 12:06 PM

That is a really nice article. We have a group that will be out there in a few weeks. This will be my 22nd year in a row to make a atv trip to that area. We always stay in Pitkin. We ride out of there and usually take a day to ride up at Crested Butte. That is a beautiful area to ride also.
Taking my oldest son(23) this year so I am REALLY excited about this years trip. He hasn't been out there since he was a little kid so this will be his first time to ride on his own in Colorado. My dad will be going so we will have 3 generations going on this trip.
What a great place to ride!!!!!!

Last edited by kentco; 08-17-2014 at 06:51 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Wildcat: We will arrive there on Sunday, Sept 8. When will you arrive?

For those who are reading this and are interested in SERIOUS riding, this is something to definitely consider. No, we don't splash through mud, we don't see how deep we can go in water, and we don't ride fast. The terrain is often hardpacked, rocky, and we climb mountains, wind through forest, and experience views that are spectacular.

Last edited by kentco; 08-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 07:10 PM

We should get there on Saturday, Sept. 6. Some of our group should get there early afternoon and the rest that evening. Hope the weather is good. Don't mind some rain in the evenings though. It knocks down the dust.
Although, a bad riding is better than a good day at work!!!!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Wildcat: I sent you a P.M.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:38 PM

Liked: 69 times
How are the trails in CO kentco? My dad is dead set on going there when he gets his 4x4. Are they somewhat sport quad friendly? I have full skids on my 450r so rocks won't hurt me too much.

2004 trx450r
Rossier exhaust
Ported head
Early HRC cam
+3 stroke
+2bore
13:1 JE piston
42.5mm FCR
UNI
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM

Liked: 8 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post
How are the trails in CO kentco? My dad is dead set on going there when he gets his 4x4. Are they somewhat sport quad friendly? I have full skids on my 450r so rocks won't hurt me too much.
I can't comment on the trails around Taylor Park, but most the ones I've rode in Colorado from near Pagosa Springs to around the Silverton/ Lake City area of the Alpine Loop to Ouray and eastern side of Lake City. The majority of the trails are plenty wide ranging from hardpack/ gravel to pretty rocky terrain. You'll just have to pick your way thru the rough stuff. The main issue is getting your carb rejetted for the altitude. Once you get over about 8000 feet, the bike will really start running pretty rough and not have any power. I think everyone should ride the Rockies in Colorado, the view is breath taking! it's on my to do list to make it up to Taylor Park for some more spectacular riding.

'06 Rancher AT 400
'05 Rancher 350 ES
'06 Recon ES
'06 Polaris Ranger XP
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Dunny, If you like the southern part of Colorado, you'll love Taylor Park.
You're absolutely right about the altitude! Last time I got new atv's, I made good and sure that they have fuel injection. In the Taylor Park area, Grand Lake area, Ouray/Silverton areas, one can easily ride from 8,000 ft to over 12,000 ft in a day. If you have a carbureted model (of any brand), it should be jetted from 8,500 to 9,500 ft before riding in the Mountains of Colorado. If you have a fuel injected model, just fill it up with gas and you're ready to go.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:44 AM

Liked: 5 times
I had to comment, I have been riding around Taylor Park since Saturday. This place is amazing, what a great way to break in my new Rancher. We did a loop today that involved three passes over 12,000 ft and a ride up to the Alpine Tunnel, if you haven't done that one you should.

Moved to Crested Butte to ride tomorrow and Friday.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

GWolfe: I was there 2 weeks ago. And yes, the Taylor Park area is just amazing. Like you, we rode over Tincup Pass, Hancock Pass, Cumberland Pass, to Cross Mountain, and to American Flag Mountain; all of which were over 12,000 feet and had absolutely spectacular views. The Alpine Tunnel is definitely something that anyone in the area should see. It is unbelievable that they were able to get a railroad up there, let alone get it through those mountains! It is amazing what people where able to do in the 1800's!
Did you get over Taylor Pass and Italian Creek? They are also fantastic rides and areas. This is also probably the best time of year to be there as the Aspen are in full color and there aren't as many people out on the trails. Thanks for your feedback!

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Discussions > Places to Ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode