Honda Rancher 350 Shifter plate Replacement | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 2 times
Honda Rancher 350 Shifter plate Replacement

Hey Guys, I purchased a 2003 Honda Rancher 350 ES as a project bike. It was stuck in gear and wouldnt shift. After going through all the usual items I have found that the shift plate is cracked - I was wondering if there is a how to on how to get that plate out and then how to replace everything. This is my first time getting this involved in something and dont want to screw it up.

Any help or advice? I can post pics if needed.

Thanks very much

Last edited by Ryanskodiak; 06-28-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2446 times
you need to down load the service manual for your make/model/year !. start there, then get to reading ! :-). if I am understanding you right ?, shifter plate ?, you speaking of the round flat disk that is under the long spring, and has a bolt through the center of it ?. we need a pic incase this is not what your speaking of ?.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4, 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Gearshift plate?

From what I read this is a pretty common problem? I downloaded the service manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: Screenshot (3).png
Views: 125
Size: 642.9 KB
ID: 80369
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2446 times
front cover has to come off, it's pretty simple to replace. service manual shows you step by step on the process :-).

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4, 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

haha I got it all apart - but am intimidated now. In order to get the original plate off do you have to remove the clutch? It keeps jamming up.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 09:42 AM

Liked: 7 times
Garage
2 questions:

1) Can you manually shift it, with the shift motor removed?
Mine was locked up to where I thought I needed to replace the shift gate. Turns out the previous owner put a junk shift motor in it that was locking everything up. Removed the motor, and I could shift through the gears just fine by hand. The shift gate problem was more prevalent on earlier models, it seems.

2) Where are you located?
Like I said above, I thought I had a bad shift gate as well. To the point that I ordered a new one. If you're interested in it, let me know.

2003 Rancher 350 ES: Budget Quad
1979 Suzuki GS850: Budget Bike
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel: Daily driver/tow vehicle/kid-mobile
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response - it is defiantly the shift plate, I took it apart and can see where it is broken. I already purchased one unfortunately.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Here is where I am at so far...

Do I have to take the clutch off to get the original shift plate off?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: unnamed (1).jpg
Views: 86
Size: 34.2 KB
ID: 80610 Click image for larger version

Name: unnamed (2).jpg
Views: 90
Size: 36.6 KB
ID: 80618 Click image for larger version

Name: unnamed (3).jpg
Views: 94
Size: 39.8 KB
ID: 80626 Click image for larger version

Name: unnamed.jpg
Views: 95
Size: 36.5 KB
ID: 80634
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

update : I pulled the clutch just up enough to get the plate out and than put new plate in....

does it just set in there or do I ahave to line it up or anything?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

OK I think I got it all in right - I put the cover back on but without the bolts just to see if it was working

So I can now shift using the manual shifter lever, however I can shift up one and thats all it will go. The guage reads 5th gear. However when I try to shift down to 4th, it doesnt seem like it is shifting far enough and the guage reads --.

Is this becuase I dont have it all back together or is it because it is still on its rear end or do you think I made a mistake somewhere.

I'm at a stand still right now and need some advice.

thanks as always

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode