1999 Foreman 450 no spark | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By retro
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 6 times
1999 Foreman 450 no spark

I've got a 99 Honda Foreman 450 that won't run because of no/weak spark. I've got the front fender off just for access. With the spark plug grounded to the engine, I have seen 2 weak arcs from the plug, in the total of cranking on it for a couple minutes. I had a spare cdi and plug and neither have changed anything, I'm not good with this kind of stuff, I had several offers for $600 on it but I wanted to see if I could fix it. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 652 times
You'll have to learn whether it needs a CDI, a pulse gen, a stator, a battery, a kill switch, ignition switch, or a neutral light, etc.

Is this an ES bike? Are there any aftermarket parts on it? Have you cleaned the grounds and all of the electrical plug connectors yet?

You'll learn about all of the above by following the diagnostic procedures for each in an orderly manner. You can get a copy of the service manual . Read each relevant chapter before beginning work and print them out so you can follow along as you work through each step.

You'll also need a fresh battery in your multimeter, a fully charged battery in good condition installed in the bike and lots of time to spend on it. Ask questions if you have them and let us know how its going if ya can.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Bone stock, foot shift, no I have not. You said neutral light? It does not illuminate when I turn on the key, I can drop it into reverse and that light comes on. And the red engine light will come on and off and flicker randomly. Does any of this mean anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Right, the trans must be in neutral and the neutral light circuit must be working or you won't have any spark.
shadetree likes this.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2446 times
retro is correct..no neutral light ?..no spark !!.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4, 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

That's crazy! Well, I guess I will get the manual and see how to diagnose what isn't getting connection.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman_450 View Post
That's crazy! Well, I guess I will get the manual and see how to diagnose what isn't getting connection.
Its not crazy, its on every Honda ATV ever produced! It is incorporated into the starting circuit for starting the motor safely without running over your kids/pets/wife/trees/garage/oncoming traffic etc. A few select models include an override feature, but all ATVs have a neutral light circuit connected to the CDI/ECM, which kills the ignition if the circuit is open.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 11:48 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 448 times
If you donít know much about troubleshooting and can afford it, you should consider taking it to a shop. Itís probably worth more than $600.
Sounds like you have a loose connector on you oil thermo and neutral switches. With your feet on the pegs the cover should be inboard of your right heel. Just look to see if the cover is missing and wires exposed

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman_450 View Post
neutral wire or switch is not making a good connection would be my guess, and retro is deff telling you right !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4, 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode