Swamped Fourtrax 300 | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

50Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 15 times
Garage
Swamped Fourtrax 300

Hi everyone!

I recently inherited a 1998 Fourtrax 300 4WD. I was quite exited to get it fixed up and going. You can see pics in my introduction post. I hoped to just have to do some minor repairs, clean the carb, and replace all the fluids. This is all I know how to do anyway.

Unfortunately, it appears that the last time the bike was used (a few years ago) it had been swamped. I'm not sure what to do next. Some pictures below. Any suggestions?

Airbox:
Click the image to open in full size.

Tube leading into airbox:

Carb:

Oil filter:

Water in oil:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: 2018-01-05 20.15.16.jpg
Views: 191
Size: 313.9 KB
ID: 105282 Click image for larger version

Name: 2018-01-05 20.38.42.jpg
Views: 190
Size: 335.7 KB
ID: 105290 Click image for larger version

Name: 2018-01-06 10.02.19.jpg
Views: 186
Size: 108.6 KB
ID: 105298 Click image for larger version

Name: 2018-01-06 19.38.37.jpg
Views: 188
Size: 104.9 KB
ID: 105306 Click image for larger version

Name: 2018-01-06 20.13.42.jpg
Views: 184
Size: 102.8 KB
ID: 105314

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 05:06 AM

Liked: 2420 times
Garage
Judging from looking at the pics of the oil filter, the water in the oil, the sand in the air inlet and the two years of time ( I believe you said 2 years ) that went by since this all happened, I think you only have one option, to split the case and inspect and then make a determination if is is feasible to rebuild the engine or look for another one, any thing is rebuildable with enough money, but it comes to a point of whether or not it is worth it

you could flush it with diesel several times, fill it up with fresh oil, test the compression, and see if you can get it to start, but if there is sludge in the case, it is not going to last long

you may want to keep this one as a part bike and find another same gen 300 to build
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 07:40 AM

Liked: 1479 times
Garage
Id be splitting the cases on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
_Wilson_ likes this.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 27" Bighorn 2.0's
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:25 AM

Liked: 1268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post
I’d be splitting the cases on this one.

what a quick flush won't get her back up and running in NO time here?? LOL
come on some of the new HIGH TEC oils we have today should be fine here, I see many say they have added cleaning agents in them? HAHA!

NO I agree with Fish here, open this thing up and see, Many things might be rusted to all heck and be worthless to re use and rebuild
I'd also be looking at axles too, as odds are they will have issue's too, if diffs have as much water in them as motor had!
Goober likes this.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 448 times
You have a lot of options and it looks like you still have enthusiasm to work on it. There are two paths for you:

Short cycle time you can sell or part it out to someone who has the ability to bring it back. Down side is you will always want to have gotten your hands dirty. Up side you learn enough about these machines to buy one that runs for $2500 and work on that oneuse yours as a Parts machine.

Long term you could rebuild and restore it. This might take you at least a year and maybe three. Find another with a bent frame. Send the engine off to a rebuilder or buy an engine off a parts machine. Rebuild the carb, axles, side gear, swing arms, everything with grit/dirt in it. Hunt Parts houses, fleabay and kreigzleist and be at least $3000 invested.

post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 15 times
Garage
This all makes me sad. Im happy to get my hands dirty and learn, but spending a year rebuilding it...

How much work is splitting the case? If I did that and posted some pics would you folks be able to help me determine if it needs rebuilding? I guess I am holding on to some hope I can get this guy living again without an engine rebuild.

Thanks so much for all of your great insight so far!

Swamped, stock 1998 TRX300FW
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:53 AM

Liked: 1479 times
Garage
You could probably find another complete engine for under $500, so there is that option if you feel like splitting this one is maybe too much work or beyond your capabilities.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 27" Bighorn 2.0's
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 652 times
It sounds to me like you might be a lot more capable than many other rookies... :-) You got the bike free and are itchin' to get dirty, so why not tear it down and find out whatcha got? You got nothing to lose here... but you'd gain a lot of knowledge and learn some new skills and work habits that you can and will apply elsewhere as you age... If its beyond repair so what! If its repairable cheap then you are a courageous winner! Your only other option at this point is to turn your back on it, throw your wallet at it, and hope you get lucky with a used motor. Lets go boys... :-)
Goober and UnkleRaRa like this.

post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 448 times
Well outlaws where can he send this engine and tranny for a full rebuild?
retro likes this.

post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Well outlaws where can he send this engine and tranny for a full rebuild?
Goober! :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode