oil change frequency ? | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

11Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 525 times
Garage
oil change frequency ?

I've really haven't studied too much on this subject, but curious to how many hours you fellows log before an engine oil change, AND how many hours does honda recommend between changes for there utility models ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:07 PM

Liked: 22 times
change oil when;

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
I've really haven't studied too much on this subject, but curious to how many hours you fellows log before an engine oil change, AND how many hours does honda recommend between changes for there utility models ?
when it starts looking blackish. change it. carbon buildup gets in the oil, oil starts turning blackish from carbon. as soon as you see this on the hopefully white rag, in stead of the too dark rag, that you wipe the dipstick on, its time for a change. this is in the stickies somewhere, at the top. / src="http://cvetitula.ru/forums/images/HondaAtvForums_toucan/smilies/tango_face_smile.png" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" class="inlineimg" />
ps. sticky was; facts about oil. in other words,, when its dirty

i have clymers manual, service manual. thanks on the service manual
" what a good giff, the good lord gee us, not to see ourselves, as others see us" Scottish proverb
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways.
i have to though, to match the way i walk" / /> "the difference between stupidity and genius is; Genius can be measured" Albert Einstein

2000 450es TRX
2 grass hogs 4x4s

Last edited by LedFTed; 01-11-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: i just have to
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:09 PM

Liked: 30 times
Quote:
I think the book says 600 miles (1000km) or 100 hrs, that is for mine, yours should be similar

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
_Wilson_ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:52 PM

Liked: 206 times
Once a year, cause it's easy to remember and I never put more than 700 miles on a machine in a year, but never less than 300.
IamMuskyHunter likes this.

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23-8-12's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 660 times
I don't follow any rules at all. I change oil & filters way more often than many... particularly if it is an air cooled motor vs, a more temp stable liquid cooled motor. I'll change the oil after every eventful thing happens too, such as getting stuck and overheating the motor/trans trying to get unstuck, or just after working the motor extra hard for whatever reason... I like to reach a hot operating oil temp, but not ever overhot....

On fresh motors during initial break-in, I dump oil & filters three times during the first load-hour of runtime. Then again after 2-3 more loaded hours, with four valve adjustments in total during the first 1.5 hours of life.

Timewise, if a motor is stationary and seldom operated I'll generally change oil every 6 months, whether its been run or not. If it was raced, it gets changed after every event. I'm a hardcore cutter too... every oil filter that comes out of a motor gets cut open for inspection under magnification. Oil & filters are cheap, parts and labor ain't...
_Wilson_ likes this.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 PM

Liked: 1270 times
I never go by miles or hours
I go by HOW hard I run the motor
if I am working the crap out of it in hot or cold weather, I change it more often
if I am just trail riding easy like you can go farther on oil changes
I am NOT a fan of going over a yr on oil changes NO matter how many miles or hours I put on it!
if you only rode a 100 mile a yr and go my the book at 500-600 miles it would be YRS before you reached that number

oil is rather cheap in the big picture, I doubt you can change it TOO often
call it cheap insurance things are in good lube LOL
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 525 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
Quote:
when it starts looking blackish. change it. carbon buildup gets in the oil, oil starts turning blackish from carbon. as soon as you see this on the hopefully white rag, in stead of the too dark rag, that you wipe the dipstick on, its time for a change. this is in the stickies somewhere, at the top. / src="http://cvetitula.ru/forums/images/HondaAtvForums_toucan/smilies/tango_face_smile.png" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" class="inlineimg" />
ps. sticky was; facts about oil. in other words,, when its dirty
Thanks i must have over looked it in sticky great read! And thanks guys very helpfull, keep it going .......

Facts about oil

1986 fourtrax trx350
Fully customizing a 1999 fourtrax 300 fwd

<<<<members garages are over there

Oct 15th, Dale Earnhardt jr. Day (thumbs up)

Aka, and still go by Jay
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 PM

Liked: 22 times
when to change oil, the break in period

i forgot this part. with a new engine,, 50 miles, change oil and filter; 500 miles change oil and filter. and then you are on your own, as to what the book says, or anything else. im not sure if this applies to atv's, it does apply to a lot of other engines. lawn equipment, and other things are rated in hours. im sure i got part of this wrong, perhaps someone can correct me.. was it mileage or hours

i have clymers manual, service manual. thanks on the service manual
" what a good giff, the good lord gee us, not to see ourselves, as others see us" Scottish proverb
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways.
i have to though, to match the way i walk" / /> "the difference between stupidity and genius is; Genius can be measured" Albert Einstein

2000 450es TRX
2 grass hogs 4x4s

Last edited by LedFTed; 01-12-2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: i just got to
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 04:29 AM

Liked: 2432 times
Garage
Oil is cheap compared to a rebuild, I over change my oil no doubt, I watch the color and any discoloration it gets changed -------- usually about every 5 rides, I would say it's 20-30 hours ------ but it is a brutal 20 hours, lots of high rpm's and high temperatures, especially in the summer when atmospheric temps here can approach 100 ---------
_Wilson_ likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:54 AM

Liked: 1481 times
Garage
Every 100 hours or so on my play machines. I skipped the first service on my Rubicon and ran it to the full 1000km before changing the oil, as Iíve done with my other machines, except the Can-am. My 350 Rancher has had maybe 4 or 5 oil changes in the 18 years Iíve owned it, there is 14,000+ km on it and about 1500 hours, just starting to get a light smoke out of it now. So I donít put a ton of faith into changing the oil more often than it needs it. That thing has had mostly conventional oil in it as well, rather than synthetics unless that was all I had around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 27" Bighorn 2.0's
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode