400ex heli coil spark plug | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Question 400ex heli coil spark plug

Im going to attemp to heli coil my spark plug hole in my 400ex.anyone here have ever done this before?I was wondering what size kit do i need to get someone told me the thread was 14mm on the plug but i think its 12mm anyone know?Should i just do this with the head on with the grease or should i take it off the atv?I also have a bolt on the cylinder with a stripped head i been trying to loosen up if anyone has a suggestion for that its one of the bolts behind the heat protector
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 573 times
Garage
I would pull the head just my opinion. Some people swear by the grease but I don't think I would want metal shavings on my piston, even if it were just a chance. But as for the threads they are 12mm. Or atleast that's the attatchment I use on my compression tester. I haven't used helicoil myself. I've seen my brother use it on his f150 heads. We removed them for that also. Good luck man!

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

thanks slamranger i want to take it off but theres one bolt that wont loosen up its driving me crazy the wd 40 isnt working if i can get it off i would rather take it off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
If your trying to pull the two little bolts out of the side. I think there like 8mm or something like that. U only have to take them out if your romoving the jug. The head will seperate from the jug. There are 4 12mm bolts under the valve cover that remove the head. Those bolts ur talking about can stay as long as your rings are good bro!

07 416ex

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Actually come to think of it. If you haven't removed the head you can't get the jug off either. There are 4 more studs holding the jug on. Under the head when you remove it. So getting those bolts out will get you no where man.

07 416ex

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

oh really good i will have to find a diahgram.so its only the four on the bottom i didnt know that cool.i toke off the two on the left choke side i will have to find the other two .thanks
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Do what now? Your losing me! In order to remove the head, you have to get off all the bolts on the top of the motor, under the gas tank. Then from there you have to remove the timing chain tensioner, get the cam out. Then there will be one bolt right where the spark plug goes in, take that off then there will be 3 more. Ones under the cam. Then the head will slide up off the head bolts. Then if your trying to remove the jug you have to remove those side bolts and the 4 bolts going down into the case. Then the entire topend is off the motor.

07 416ex

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
My suggestion is go to my5sons postings click on the link in his signature. Get the factory service manual download. That will give you a full run through of everything.

07 416ex

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

ok im just talking about taking the head off i didnt know there was some much to take off i got the top off the cylinder already.i dont want to screw anything up does everything go back together the same way i toke it off?am i going to have to adjust anything?im a newb lol.i broke two bolts off already in the cylinder cover haha i did order the bolts from RMatv should be here tomorow and im doing the work on fri
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

I did download the honda manual and i have a haynes manual i bought also honda manual seems much better

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode