Steam coming from radiator | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Steam coming from radiator

I always come here to read up on info about ranchers, but this is my first post. I have an 07 420 FM rancher. I went riding this weekend and my coolant temp light came on for the first time. I do wooded trail riding with some nice size mud holes throughout the trail. The temp light didn't come until after I had been riding for 4 hours (we stop here and there about every 20 minutes). I detailed everything yesterday, got it all cleaned up (and dried off) and after I drove down to my garage and parked (engine was at normal temp) I noticed steam coming off the radiator. I haven't pulled off the front plastics yet to verify, but I'm thinking I may have a cracked radiator. If that is the case; are long term fixes beside replacing the radiator all together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 PM

Liked: 19 times
Did your fan ever come on? Is it leaking coolant anywhere?

2004 Rincon
2" lift
Snorkled with extened vent lines
27" mudlites, ITP SS212's
710 BBK and hot cams mudbuster
HMF Utility series slip on pipe
Mud bike

2013 Rancher 420 AT.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Yes, the fan kicked on as normal when I was riding and after I parked it in the garage after cleaning..............Good news though, I think I just jumped to conclusions. I went home and ran it last night till it was hot enough and the fan kicked on, but no steam at all this time. Probably just had water left in the radiator fins (even though I let it sit for a good 3 or 4 hours after washing) There was a good amount of steam coming off the radiator the night before, so that caused some alarm for me.

False alram, thanks though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 11:16 AM

Liked: 158 times
Garage
Check your coolant level if you haven't already

Rob

I've owned many Hondas over the years, with 2, 3 and 4 wheels.
Iím always buying and selling projects and parts
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I will be checking the fuilds tonight, I didn't really feel like removing the radiator cap list night while it was still hot; but I'm almost a 100% certain they'll be good since I had a stealership do the full 40 hour break in service about a month ago...........After reading up on the other "over heating" threads, I'm going to get in there and detail my radiator because my fan seems to be running more than it was at the beginning of the summer.

Thank you for the quick responses

05 450r w/ full HFM exhaust; lonestar handlebars and steering stem; k/n airfilter; mod'd air box; ac bumper and grab bar

07 420 rancher FM; stock - for now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode