oil temp sending unit question | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

oil temp sending unit question

I noticied today that my oil temp. sender was broken and the wire had fallen off of the sender. I'm in the process of rebuilding this 2000 350 rancher 4X4 es and was wondering if I had to have the oil temp. sender to run the engine when I finish it. My understanding is that it just tells the fan when to come on, am I right? I read a thread were some fans rarely come on at all. The male spade on the sender just fell off. I wonder if I can just stick the wire in the sender and soider it in and that work, anybody done this before?

LSU TIGER COUNTRY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 26 times
Yeah, the oil temp sensor tells the fan when to turn on and it also makes the oil temp light turn on when it needs to. It's important that the fan runs on those Ranchers when it needs to or it will got hot and melt the piston and rings. I have one in my garage right now and that's what happened to it.

You might be able to solder the wire to it, but it might get the inside too hot and the sensor might not work properly anymore. I think I would just buy a new one.

What happened to the Rancher that you are rebuilding it? Did the piston and rings melt? If so, then the wire breaking off the sensor is probably what caused it to do that.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Yeah, the oil temp sensor tells the fan when to turn on and it also makes the oil temp light turn on when it needs to. It's important that the fan runs on those Ranchers when it needs to or it will got hot and melt the piston and rings. I have one in my garage right now and that's what happened to it.

You might be able to solder the wire to it, but it might get the inside too hot and the sensor might not work properly anymore. I think I would just buy a new one.

What happened to the Rancher that you are rebuilding it? Did the piston and rings melt? If so, then the wire breaking off the sensor is probably what caused it to do that.
I traded a gun for it knowing it didnt have any compression. It was treated very rough with no care. I found it had a .75 piston in it and the oil ring was broke several places. Swingarm bearings are bad also.

LSU TIGER COUNTRY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 AM

Liked: 4 times
I would also buy a new one. If you used a low temp. Solder it wouldn't damage the sensor but the engine would probaly get hot enough to melt it and then it would fall off again. A high temp. Solder will damage the sensor.

300 Fourtrax 4x4 2" lift, 14" ss106 wheels, custom Dual chrome snorkels, gear reduction, supertrap ids2, disc brakes, moose seat pack, a few secret modifications,
K&N with pre filter, dynojet kit, 27" mudlites, custom fender lift, 2" wheel spacers
- - - - - - -
U.S. Army S.O.F. Sniper (Don't run you'll only die tired!)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 5 times
Just rig a switch to the fan so you can manually turn it off and on...

Thank you to my 2012 Sponsors:
Dynamic Graphics, Inc.
Aurora Honda
LoneStar Racing
Leatt
Fox Shox
HondaATVForums.NET
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM

Liked: 4 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submarine 300 View Post
I would also buy a new one. If you used a low temp. Solder it wouldn't damage the sensor but the engine would probaly get hot enough to melt it and then it would fall off again. A high temp. Solder will damage the sensor.
I was thinking and you can go to Radio Shack and buy a clip on heat sink that would let you solder it back on without burning the sensor out.

300 Fourtrax 4x4 2" lift, 14" ss106 wheels, custom Dual chrome snorkels, gear reduction, supertrap ids2, disc brakes, moose seat pack, a few secret modifications,
K&N with pre filter, dynojet kit, 27" mudlites, custom fender lift, 2" wheel spacers
- - - - - - -
U.S. Army S.O.F. Sniper (Don't run you'll only die tired!)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Liked: 10 times
Can't you just ground the wire and then the fan would run all the time, don't know if its a normally open or closed switch.

recently sold 07 TRX 450ER 14/1 CP piston/ +1 valves intake & exhaust/ 208 web cam/ High Rev valve springs/ potred & polished/bored carb by DASA/ DASA Classic exhaust / Leagers +2 MX Lt a-arms/ Ohlins Lt front & Fox Podium X DSC Rear shock and LSR DC-6 linkage/LSR duel row carrier/ lsr Axcaliber Pro axle/ Pro Armor skid & rear bumper/ Hiper Bead locks/ Quadcross Pro's/ Houser +1 stem/ Precision stablizer / Pro Taper Fat bars/ ASV levers/ Quadtech hump seat. My trail ride is a 07 GRIZZLY 700 !
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69quadracer View Post
Can't you just ground the wire and then the fan would run all the time, don't know if its a normally open or closed switch.
I believe you are correct 69. I think when it gets a certain temperature it just grounds to the block to complete the circuit. He could tell for sure when he gets it running by just tipping the end of the wire to the block and the fan should kick on.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
I believe you are correct 69. I think when it gets a certain temperature it just grounds to the block to complete the circuit. He could tell for sure when he gets it running by just tipping the end of the wire to the block and the fan should kick on.
I think thats what the manual says to do to check the fan operation, just ground that wire. So I guess it wont hurt anything to just run it for a bit when I get it back together and replace it soon after?

LSU TIGER COUNTRY
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass11.11 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I think thats what the manual says to do to check the fan operation, just ground that wire. So I guess it wont hurt anything to just run it for a bit when I get it back together and replace it soon after?
Yeah, it shouldn't hurt it a bit to do that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode