Corroded gas tank, bad petcock. | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Corroded gas tank, bad petcock.

I know I will eventually reseal the tank. But not for months. What can I use to clean the tank out in the meantime so I can get this fourtrax running? Petcock was so full of crud it separated on removal. Had a time getting those parts out. I added an inline fuel filter already. Gotta clean the inside of the tank? Even carb was nasty green in the float bowl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:25 PM

Liked: 368 times
People have used all kinds of stuff to clean tanks out. Vinegar, lengths of chains, screws with nuts and bolts, ect.

There's a trick using the works toilet bowl cleaner that will strip it clean..
Your problem will be flash rusting and exposing tiny pin holes depending on the condition of the tank.
Check out the tank lining kits that come with everything you need. Some have had good luck with them.

Reason I'm throwing out all the options is, if it's not cleaned and prepped properly. You're gonna be in the same boat your in now pretty quickly..

I went with a plastic tank on mine..

'91 TRX300FW
'86 TRX125 Project
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:28 PM

And, clean or replace the filter and screen inside the petcock. That stuff will make it back in the carb you are about to rebuild and you'll be taking it apart again..

'91 TRX300FW
'86 TRX125 Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:31 PM

This is not bad if you wanted to go the plastic route..

'91 TRX300FW
'86 TRX125 Project
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Supporting Member

Liked: 331 times
A 50-50 mix of CLR Calcium, Lime, Rust bathroom cleanser with hot water sloshed around will do it. So will lemon juice and vinegar as advised above.

I am also in agreement that it'll flash rust again very quickly. Consider a POR 15 kit. All of my old minibike tanks have this and I have had no trouble since.

Follow the instructions to the letter especially about getting all of the water out because the urethane POR-15 liner stuff does not stick to water. This will require forced hot air from a heat gun and turn the tank often to liberate the water.

Also use caution to not leave too much urethane in the tank during the last step. Too thick of a pool of urethane at the bottom of the tank tends to delaminate later. Simply turn the tank often during the first few hours of the cure time to allow the excess urethane that cannot be emptied to ooze itself into thinner layers elsewhere around the inside of the tank.

Lastly, the urethane takes three full days to cure inside the tank at room temperature. Think longer if done in your garage.

Rick

2006 Green Honda Foreman 500 - Viper Elite Winch
2004 Yellow Honda 250ex - Grandson's Bike
1971 School Bus Yellow "Spaghetti" Harley-D Sprint 350
1972 Candy Yellow Honda CL100 K2
1972 Candy Jet Green Honda CB500
1973 Mighty Green Honda ST90 K0
1974 Mars Orange Honda CT90 K5
1975 Topaz Orange Honda ST90 K2
1976 Shiny Orange Honda CT90

Last edited by b52bombardier1; 11-07-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: addional explanation
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys. Plastic seems like less hassle, but then it has to be painted. Por15 does come highly recommended, not sure how long it will be before I have that kind of time. And it's nearly winter, so I guess I need to do something quick. I really do appreciate your help.

Archer
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:05 PM

Liked: 2 times
I just did a White Vinegar treatment for my gas tank on my 1985 TRX250 and was very impressed with the results.

You will need:
-Enough white vinegar to fill your tank twice
-A long slim brush
-Baking soda

Steps:
-Remove your petcock
-Fill tank with vinegar
-Let sit for 24 hours
-Empty
-Scrub with brush
-Empty the sludge

(repeat the above steps until you are satisfied)

-Fill the tank with baking soda and water to neutralize the Acid(be sure to do this QUICKLY because the metal will quickly rust if left with the acidic coating)
-Swish the water/baking soda in the tank (repeat several times)
-Rinse with gasoline (repeat several times)

That should do it. It worked well for me and the supplies were cheap! I've heard people say that molases works better but can be a challenge to clean the gas tank after the treatment.

1985 Honda Foutrax 250 TRX (--)
1987 Yamaha Exciter 570LC
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer1981 View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. Plastic seems like less hassle, but then it has to be painted. Por15 does come highly recommended, not sure how long it will be before I have that kind of time. And it's nearly winter, so I guess I need to do something quick. I really do appreciate your help.

Archer

What color is your ATV??

'91 TRX300FW
'86 TRX125 Project
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I should have said so. It is green, and it is a 1992 from the manuals description. I thought it was a 1987 according to the vin and an online guide? First models were 1988? So I thought the guide was wrong. I think I will try what fanatic did with white vinegar. What's to lose. I did find a green plastic tank on eBay. Just need decals or paint it camouflage and be done with it. I ordered the carb rebuild kit and a new petcock. Will be working on it fri and sat. Should be done this weekend I hope.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer1981 View Post
I should have said so. It is green, and it is a 1992 from the manuals description. I thought it was a 1987 according to the vin and an online guide? First models were 1988? So I thought the guide was wrong. I think I will try what fanatic did with white vinegar. What's to lose. I did find a green plastic tank on eBay. Just need decals or paint it camouflage and be done with it. I ordered the carb rebuild kit and a new petcock. Will be working on it fri and sat. Should be done this weekend I hope.

I was gonna say, they make green ones too.

There should be a decal in the frame that tells what year it is. You can post pictures and someone in here can tell you what year it is..

'91 TRX300FW
'86 TRX125 Project

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode