1981 Honda 200 no spark | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

1981 Honda 200 no spark

Can anybody help with this? I have a 81 honda atc 200. There is no spark but it will run when towed with another atv and bump started. Will not start with pull chord. Once it is going, shut it of and it will start again with pull chord. I tried it a dozen times afterwards and starts no problem. Come back the next day and will not start again. I replaced the ignition coil at the stator. Still the same. Could it be the cdi? I assume that's the little black box mounted in rubber under the gas tank.
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:27 PM

Liked: 1 times
I had same issue. CDI was the issue. Something happens to those boxes when they see temp changes. Mine would start but not restart once it was shut off till the CDI cooled.

I'd replace it before doing anything else. No electric start very few things it can be

I just finished a rebuild on an 82 200
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:28 PM

Liked: 1 times
Yes the CDI should be on the frame under the gas tank. Black box with several wires going in
Sponsored Links

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Supporting Member

Liked: 336 times
Try tapping the CDI while starting. The printed circuit board can have a broken trace that can temporarily mend itself with the tapping.

2006 Green Honda Foreman 500 - Viper Elite Winch
2004 Yellow Honda 250ex - Grandson's Bike
1971 School Bus Yellow "Spaghetti" Harley-D Sprint 350
1972 Candy Yellow Honda CL100 K2
1972 Candy Jet Green Honda CB500
1973 Mighty Green Honda ST90 K0
1974 Mars Orange Honda CT90 K5
1975 Topaz Orange Honda ST90 K2
1976 Shiny Orange Honda CT90
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

CDI. That was it. Starts up and runs perfect. Thanks for the advice. The old bike hasn't run correctly in about 15 years. It just got replaced and sat in the shed waiting to be resurrected. I can move on now to repainting some stuff and order some decals for the tank and fenders. Now I have to find correct red paint. Anybody know correct paint code?

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode