Sea foam use in atv - Page 2 | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:50 PM

a ton of stuff. heres a link

1997 Green Honda Fourtrax 300fw
-UNI filter
-crappy tires
In the future:
-424 locker
-front disk breaks
-ITP mudlights
-12in wheels (black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 26 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs330 View Post
dumb question but what is sea foam and what is it used for???
From the Sea Foam website:

"Sea Foam® is a safe and versatile additive that can be used in fuel, oil or added directly into the combustion chamber on 2-cycle, 4-cycle, rotary and diesel engines. Sea Foam® is a 100% pure petroleum product, so it is as safe for seals, o-rings, sensors and other fuel system and engine components as the fuel or motor oil that runs the engine. Sea Foam® contains NO harsh chemicals. All three types of engines (2 & 4 cycle, rotary and diesel engines) suffer from the problems described below, all of which are addressed by Sea Foam®.

1. Old petroleum residue (gum and varnish) buildup. All fuels and engine oils leave behind residue deposits that accumulate over time. In the crank case, this residue builds up around lifters and rings, preventing them from functioning properly. In the fuel system, residue builds up in the injectors or carburetor jets, on the tops of pistons and on the backs of intake valves. Carbon in the exhaust adheres to this residue and forms carbon deposits. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE RESIDUE IN YOUR CRANK CASE AND THE RESIDUE IN YOUR FUEL SYSTEM. IT IS ALL PETROLEUM VARNISH. Sea Foam® slowly and safely re-liquefies this varnish so contaminants and carbon deposits can be safely cleaned out of the systems as the engine is operated.
2. Lack of lubrication. This can occur in the fuel system as the result of dry fuel additives such as ethanol that actually remove lubrication from the engine components. In the crank case, varnish buildup around the lifters and rings can prevent the oil from properly circulating and lubricating. Sea Foam® contains a high-temperature penetrating, lubricating and cleaning oil that will not evaporate even in high heat areas like the combustion chamber. It is also able to safely dissolve varnish from lifters and rings so the oil can flow and lubricate properly.
3. Moisture. Fuel can absorb moisture from the atmosphere - even more so with the addition of ethanol. Crank case oil can also become easily contaminated with moisture. Sea Foam® fully encapsulates the water molecules in the fuel and oil to prevent phase separation - rendering the absorbed moisture harmless.

By addressing these three key factors that produce premature engine wear and cause many common drivability problems, Sea Foam® can be used by professionals and do-it-yourselfers alike to safely eliminate many contamination and lubrication related performance problems and help prolong the life of an engine. A clean, dry and well lubricated engine will run smoother and more efficiently."

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:53 PM

Sea Foam testimonial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs330 View Post
dumb question but what is sea foam and what is it used for???
Go to the maintenance section and there is a sticky. I put it in all my Recons. I put an ounce in right after changing oil.

But what was truly impressive was when I dumped a bottle in my 99 Suburban with 190k miles. I put 1/3 in the crank, 1/3 in the gas tank, and 1/3 directly into the engine via the brake booster vacuum hose. What a difference! The engine sounds great. Even if it's my imagination, I don't care but it really helped.

I really did it not thinking it would work, just wanted to see the dang thing smoke to high heck like in the YouTube videos. It didn't smoke as much, but it seemed to help.

97 Recon
01 Recon
04 Recon
07 TRX 250 ex
10 Rancher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Anderson View Post
hey im about to go on a two day ride with my fourtrax 300 4x4 and i was planing on putting some sea foam in my oil. but what my question is should I put it in before or after my two day ride...cause im going to change my oil after I get back...and i want it to ''clean'' the inside of my motor...also iv never used it in my oil before so im worried its gona gunk up my oil cause its so dirty while im out riding...so should I wait and put it in after I get back and ride it alittle then change my oil?
can someone give me some pointers? on my question^^^^^

1997 Green Honda Fourtrax 300fw
-UNI filter
-crappy tires
In the future:
-424 locker
-front disk breaks
-ITP mudlights
-12in wheels (black)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 26 times
If I was doing it, I would probably do it before the ride. You're supposed to add it and then change the oil after the oil color turns dirty looking. Here is what the website says about using it to clean the crankcase:

"To clean built-up oil residues and contamination from the crank case, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam® to each quart of engine oil. Sea Foam® will slowly re-liquefy residues and suspend contaminants for easy removal. Monitor oil for color and clarity and change oil and replace filter when oil looks dirty."

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:27 AM

Liked: 2 times
i might have to try this stuff on my truck 185k's.

2011 Rancher 420 FPM
AMS Swamp fox tires
Stearns rear rack bag
Superwinch Terra 25
Moose rear bumper
Fuse powersports trailer hitch
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to snowman_44077 Send a message via Yahoo to snowman_44077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
If I was doing it, I would probably do it before the ride. You're supposed to add it and then change the oil after the oil color turns dirty looking. Here is what the website says about using it to clean the crankcase:

"To clean built-up oil residues and contamination from the crank case, add 1½ oz. Sea Foam® to each quart of engine oil. Sea Foam® will slowly re-liquefy residues and suspend contaminants for easy removal. Monitor oil for color and clarity and change oil and replace filter when oil looks dirty."
Sounds like, in other words: You'll still need to change the oil, just probably a lot sooner based on its color.

Interesting, I never knew you could just run it in the oil. I'll be trying this on the 420... Thanks!

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Liked: 7 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_44077 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post

Sounds like, in other words: You'll still need to change the oil, just probably a lot sooner based on its color.

Interesting, I never knew you could just run it in the oil. I'll be trying this on the 420... Thanks!
To be honest, I wouldn't EVER do that to an ATV. I MIGHT try it in the crankcase, if the transmission oil and crankcase oil are separated, but even then, it's not worth the risk to see any benefit. You're risking the clutches for what again?????? You shouldn't have that much gunk in your atv anyway. I think a good synthetic cleans better. SeaFoam was originally designed for Boat Motors (or so I thought).

Just my opinion! Take it or leave it!

> Click Here for Answers to Cleaning, Compression, Jetting, Carb Issues, Model Specific problems etc.

>> Click Here to Download your Service/Repair Manual

1996 TRX300FW - ITP Mudlites Warn XT25 (Current Project)
2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX
2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 - 2 inch lift
2006 TRX250EX - Maxxis Razrs
2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 - ITP Mudlite XL
2008 TRX450ER - No Lid, HRC Kit, 162 Main, 45 pilot, 55 leak jet

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode