400EX Pivot bolt info | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 365 times
Garage
Exclamation 400EX Pivot bolt info

I am here to offer a little insight to my experience in removing a frozen swing arm pivot bolt on a 2006 TRX 400EX. After reading until my eyes hurt. I have come to the following conclusion. Honda did not think this area through very well. lol. After 2 days of spraying heating beating, Repeat ect ect, We were able to move the bolt a full 1/8" yes I said 1/8". lol. We broke out the last resort...the Die-Grinder with a cut-off wheel. Note: If you can't get the bolt to move a substantial distance in 8 or 10 blows with an 8lb. hammer it's not going to move. first we removed the subframe and shock, it makes all the room and easier to work... The first cut was made on the right side of the engine where the pivot bolt goes through the block (make all cuts while rotating the bolt), next we moved up as close to the swing arm on that side as possible, once you make that cut there will be about 1/4" of sleeve left to get off of the bolt, leave that for now.On the left side find you a small piece of wood another set of arms and a long prybar. take the wood and stick it just below the starter on the housing, take the pry bar and wedge it between the wood and frame now those other set of arms need to pry the motor towards the brake side just enough to get your cut wheel in there, make your cut rotate the bolt cut again and so forth until it breaks free. now Over to the left side take your cutter and cut around the edge of the dust cap like you are going to split it into 2 pieces ( you will have to rotate it too). after you cut through cut across it to remove the end closest to the swing arm. Now you have room between the frame and swing to cut the bolt. After you cut through that end remove the end of the bolt.
Almost done. grab the Swing arm and twist it upon the left side above the engine and out if your bearings are still inside you may have to pry it out. now that the swing arm is out of the way you can take a long rod and tap out the left over bolt from the engine, I was able to pry the remainding sleeve off of the right side and then remove the bolt head.
This is basically what we had to do in a nut shell, I do not recommend beating on the bolt for more than the amount I stated above. The reason why is after all that whailing we noticed that while we were beating the truth out of the bolt end we didn't realize we had actually bent the pivot gusset out about 3/8 or an inch on the brake side. SO don't do it. If you take your time and cut it out turn the bolt while cutting you won't hurt the case or anything in the area. I hope this experience will aid anyone else in removing their stuck pivot bolt, This method may work for other models but I really wasn't going to try it on the other quads in the shop..lol Good Luck.

PS. When you install the new bolt put a liberal amount of anti-seize on it, you'll love your quad later for it. lol

"MOOSE WAGON "
00 TRX400EX aka "MOOSE ROCKET"
91 TRX250X aka "MOOSE WAGON" RETIRED
96 Polaris 400L sport (Mrs. Moose Ride)
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
96 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer (daughters)
06 TRX450ER aka === Under construction

Progress and Help
PM FOR MANUAL HELP
JETTING
Service_Manual_Downloads
2000_400EX_Build
400EX_Pivot_Bolt_

Last edited by TRX2fiveO; 12-05-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1 times
Great info, thanks for sharing

My Rides
2002 F-250 4x4
250R
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 26 times
Yes, great info!! Might save someone else a lot of trouble.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 5 times
Sounds like a day of bleeding knuckles and swear words.

Thank you to my 2012 Sponsors:
Dynamic Graphics, Inc.
Aurora Honda
LoneStar Racing
Leatt
Fox Shox
HondaATVForums.NET
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
no bleeding knuckles but I think we invented a few words.. LOL once we cut everything it was ok then.

"MOOSE WAGON "
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)

Progress and Help
PM FOR MANUAL HELP
JETTING
Service_Manual_Downloads
2000_400EX_Build
400EX_Pivot_Bolt_
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 5 times
LOL, "Herrumpharumph" pronounced Her-rumpf-a-rumpf is a word that I made up when I busted my knuckles with my nephew right next to me. LOL My wife and i still use it.

Thank you to my 2012 Sponsors:
Dynamic Graphics, Inc.
Aurora Honda
LoneStar Racing
Leatt
Fox Shox
HondaATVForums.NET
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 AM

^^^^^ Mind if I use that... lol Great info moose. Can't go wrong with a cut wheel... Well you can but we'll get to that later. lol

2008 TRX400ex

42 pilot jet
Stage 2 Dynojet kit
K&N Powerlid
Lexx MXe slip on
Armadillo full body and swing arm skid plates.
450r front suspension

Dan in VA

post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3 times
Great Advice!!!!

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT!

Equal opportunity offender.
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
I put a sticky to this thread so people that need assistance could find it.

"MOOSE WAGON "
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)

Progress and Help
PM FOR MANUAL HELP
JETTING
Service_Manual_Downloads
2000_400EX_Build
400EX_Pivot_Bolt_
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:20 PM

400EX Pivot bolt info-0515001658.jpg

Been there done that!!!!!! I soked mine for 2 days with Kroil would spin it with an impact wrench then beat it back and forth with an impact hammer. Mine is a 2001.

My new bolt is gun drilled and has a grease zerk

2000 400ex
Wossner 12.5:1 416 piston, Stage 2 hot cam, kibblewhite valves and springs, mild port job, billet clutch basket, Curtis Sparks ceramic coated exhaust, 1 down 1 up gearing, razr 2 fronts HD rears, powder coated (white) and gusseted frame, works tr front shocks, bunch of Pro Armor, ect. ect.

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode