New Carb Problems - Page 3 | cvetitula.ru
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to brothersman Send a message via Skype™ to brothersman
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersman View Post
Quote:
believe it or not..those tiny pieces of debris the size of sand can stop up your jets on your carb !..if you get any of them in your carb...it will make your bike run like crap.
Well now those debris was caught by fuel filter and didnt enter carb, so today I cleaned the filter, pulled the carb out and all jets, pilot screw, and float needle, cleaned everything with carb cleaner and and blew out with compress air, put it all back together, and the only way i could get it to crank was hold me hand over the carb, choking the motor, once i removed my hand engine died, so I double check the pilot screw, screwed it all the way in and backed out 2 3/8 turns (manufacturers suggestion) and still have to hold my hand over carb, so I then started turning the pilot screw out 1/4 each time and trying to crank, still have to hold hand over carb, so i reset the pilot screw to 2 3/8 and tryed turning it 1/4 turn in, and still the same problem, also there is a new problem, when i turn the fuel cock on, the drain line on bottom of bowl drains a good bit of fuel
as for gas coming out of carb bowl..float needle is sticking..letting bowl over fill. as for your motor not running unless you hold your hand over the carb..this is still an air/fuel mixture problem..and i don't mean just the pilot screw..the trx250's require a certain air restriction...this means an air fliter !..you can't adjust the pilot screw on these motors like you can the trx300's...they don't operate the same..put your air fliter on..close the lid..then from idle..adjust the pilot screw..from idle..lightly seated..back the screw out 2 turns..this is a starting point !!..crank the bike up....the one thing i hate about these carbs...is they don't make it easy to get to the pilot screw while the carb is on the bike..this i know..but..with alittle practice..and a very short screw driver..it can be done..just do the pre-set pilot adjustment while you have the carb off...after everything is back on the bike..crank it up..after it's running..adjust the idle up with the idle screw ( black knob screw )..set it where your motor is running kinda good..this is where a good ear..and knowing how a motor sounds comes into play....been doing it so long..i go by ear..anyway..once you get the engine to idle fairly good..with the thumb throttle..work it ( rev throttle in short burst ).as your doing this..listen to the engine..your aiming to get the engine to go to high rpm's at a fast pace..but you want the engine to idle back down kinda fast..if you rev engine..and it goes up..and you let off throttle..and it still sounds fast after you let off throttle..and it takes it a few sec's to come back down...then you need to adjust the pilot screw ( air/fuel mixture screw )..i hope you can understand what i'm saying...it's kinda hard to tell someone in words..instead of showing them in person..you just gotta know what your doing i guess..takes practice..thats all.
I cant thank you enough for you help, I am sure I have been a pain, I understand about how a motor should sound, I will try everything u suggested tomorrow hopefully it works, i will let u know tomorrow LOL

Neal Brothers
86 Honda TRX 250 Fourtrax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to brothersman Send a message via Skype™ to brothersman
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrax View Post
Just a thought but does your filter allow for enough flow?
i think he was putting his hand over the carb without the air box and filter.or maybe just covering the air fliter hole with his hands ??..either way..these motors on these bikes need some restriction to pull gas into the jets..sooo..his air filter needs to have some restriction...not less.
Yes I have disconnected the air box and filter, cause when i bought the bike it was that way, but tomorrow I will hook everything back up and try again

Neal Brothers
post #23 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2447 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well now those debris was caught by fuel filter and didnt enter carb, so today I cleaned the filter, pulled the carb out and all jets, pilot screw, and float needle, cleaned everything with carb cleaner and and blew out with compress air, put it all back together, and the only way i could get it to crank was hold me hand over the carb, choking the motor, once i removed my hand engine died, so I double check the pilot screw, screwed it all the way in and backed out 2 3/8 turns (manufacturers suggestion) and still have to hold my hand over carb, so I then started turning the pilot screw out 1/4 each time and trying to crank, still have to hold hand over carb, so i reset the pilot screw to 2 3/8 and tryed turning it 1/4 turn in, and still the same problem, also there is a new problem, when i turn the fuel cock on, the drain line on bottom of bowl drains a good bit of fuel
as for gas coming out of carb bowl..float needle is sticking..letting bowl over fill. as for your motor not running unless you hold your hand over the carb..this is still an air/fuel mixture problem..and i don't mean just the pilot screw..the trx250's require a certain air restriction...this means an air fliter !..you can't adjust the pilot screw on these motors like you can the trx300's...they don't operate the same..put your air fliter on..close the lid..then from idle..adjust the pilot screw..from idle..lightly seated..back the screw out 2 turns..this is a starting point !!..crank the bike up....the one thing i hate about these carbs...is they don't make it easy to get to the pilot screw while the carb is on the bike..this i know..but..with alittle practice..and a very short screw driver..it can be done..just do the pre-set pilot adjustment while you have the carb off...after everything is back on the bike..crank it up..after it's running..adjust the idle up with the idle screw ( black knob screw )..set it where your motor is running kinda good..this is where a good ear..and knowing how a motor sounds comes into play....been doing it so long..i go by ear..anyway..once you get the engine to idle fairly good..with the thumb throttle..work it ( rev throttle in short burst ).as your doing this..listen to the engine..your aiming to get the engine to go to high rpm's at a fast pace..but you want the engine to idle back down kinda fast..if you rev engine..and it goes up..and you let off throttle..and it still sounds fast after you let off throttle..and it takes it a few sec's to come back down...then you need to adjust the pilot screw ( air/fuel mixture screw )..i hope you can understand what i'm saying...it's kinda hard to tell someone in words..instead of showing them in person..you just gotta know what your doing i guess..takes practice..thats all.
I cant thank you enough for you help, I am sure I have been a pain, I understand about how a motor should sound, I will try everything u suggested tomorrow hopefully it works, i will let u know tomorrow LOL
nah..your not being a pain bro..thats what were here for..to help ppl out like you !!..don't worry about asking a question or what not..it's not a problem at all..ask away..we'll try to help you out in any way we can. and your welcome !

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4, 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrax View Post
Just a thought but does your filter allow for enough flow?
i think he was putting his hand over the carb without the air box and filter.or maybe just covering the air fliter hole with his hands ??..either way..these motors on these bikes need some restriction to pull gas into the jets..sooo..his air filter needs to have some restriction...not less.
Yes I have disconnected the air box and filter, cause when i bought the bike it was that way, but tomorrow I will hook everything back up and try again
ok..keep us posted..let us know how it goes !

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4, 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #25 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Well today I did just like u said, turn pilot screw to 2 turns out, hooked airbox, filter and the plastic pipe goin from airbox into the frame under handle bars, and the bike wouldn't crank at all, and its kicking my a$$ cause, i have to kick start it. So I tried turning the pilot screw out a 1/4 turn each time and trying to crank, its out about 4-5 full turns now, and it sounds like it wants to crank but doesn't. Should i keep going out a 1/4 each time and try to crank it some more till it cranks

Neal Brothers
post #26 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Well today I did just like u said, turn pilot screw to 2 turns out, hooked airbox, filter and the plastic pipe goin from airbox into the frame under handle bars, and the bike wouldn't crank at all, and its kicking my a$$ cause, i have to kick start it. So I tried turning the pilot screw out a 1/4 turn each time and trying to crank, its out about 4-5 full turns now, and it sounds like it wants to crank but doesn't. Should i keep going out a 1/4 each time and try to crank it some more till it cranks
no..shouldn't need to back the pilot screw out more than 2 1/2 turns for sure. is fuel reaching the carb ?..loosen the drain bowl screw on the bottom of the carb..make sure gas is in it ? how's your compression reading ?..how's the timming look ?..take the air filter back off..with a short burst of starting fluid..see if it will crank over..as in..hit for a few sec's ?..if it does..this tell's me you got carb problems...if it won't fire on starting fluid..then you got compression issues..or spark issues..start with the starting fluid..see what it will do..we'll try to narrow it down....this is why i hate doing something online..as it't not a hands on thing..lol. and leave the plastic snorkle off..and look up in the frame..as dirt dobbers love to nest in the frame !..lol

post #27 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

ok well I am just calling it quits and buying a new carb,found one for $127 on ebay, should be here late next week, let yall know how everything works

Neal Brothers
post #28 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
ok well I am just calling it quits and buying a new carb,found one for $127 on ebay, should be here late next week, let yall know how everything works
you gave up too quick bro..you could of got a carb rebuild kit for a 1/4 of that used carb..but..hey..it's your cash..lol.

post #29 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Liked: 7 times
Not to mention, it may not be your problem. You could be spending $127 and end up right back at square one. The starting fluid, no matter how much I have said that I would NOT use it ever again, in this case, I would have shot one tiny burst and tried to fire it up. If it fired, coughed or did anything better than what it was, then I'd probably have bought a new carb or took small pieces from the intake. Like started by removing the air filter only...then moving on. But, buying new carb, it's just throwing parts at it.

I hope that carb is what fixes it though! Let us know!

> Click Here for Answers to Cleaning, Compression, Jetting, Carb Issues, Model Specific problems etc.

>> Click Here to Download your Service/Repair Manual

1996 TRX300FW - ITP Mudlites Warn XT25 (Current Project)
2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX
2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 - 2 inch lift
2006 TRX250EX - Maxxis Razrs
2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 - ITP Mudlite XL
2008 TRX450ER - No Lid, HRC Kit, 162 Main, 45 pilot, 55 leak jet

post #30 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my5sons View Post
Not to mention, it may not be your problem. You could be spending $127 and end up right back at square one. The starting fluid, no matter how much I have said that I would NOT use it ever again, in this case, I would have shot one tiny burst and tried to fire it up. If it fired, coughed or did anything better than what it was, then I'd probably have bought a new carb or took small pieces from the intake. Like started by removing the air filter only...then moving on. But, buying new carb, it's just throwing parts at it.

I hope that carb is what fixes it though! Let us know!
i agree my5sons..i was trying to get him to eliminate one problem at a time..and the starting fluid would have pointed me to another task..but..oh well..his money..lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode