Mud Lite xl vs Highlifter Outlaw radials | cvetitula.ru
Wheels & Tires Trying to upgrade the stock Wheels or Tires on your ATV? Post here! Fitment questions, sizes, brands, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 55 times
Talking Mud Lite xl vs Highlifter Outlaw radials

I have a set of 27x12s Mud Lites xl on Itp wheels on my 500 right now..1 of the guys I rode with last weekend has the same sized Highlifter Outlaw radials on the same ITP wheels(Suki KQ700 Sra),the other guy had 28" Outlaws(BK) on factory stock wheels on his bike(Kawi 650 Brute ira) 12 psi...I let them lead as it was their stomping grounds,and I had not ridden this particular part,or area before...I would watch what line,and how they attacked any,and all obstacles;from fallen 24" diameter trees,30' drop ins,or climbs(think 40+degrees or so),4' root bolls,buried stumps,washouts,ruts,deep sand,sand bars,mud,water,etc...No rock(other than some rip rap they refused to ride on,said "it would cut their sidewalls")I rode it,played all over it with zero issues other than beverage spillage...I could go anywhere they went with less tire spin,less effort,more control,more finesse,plus I went everywhere they did not,or could not go..After watching them attempt obstacles they had "done many times before",and then watch them take the go around route,I'd simply point,throttle up as little as was necessary,aim,and go up,through,over obstacle,after obstacle...You have to understand,both of these "know it all/experts" said Mud Lites suck,too heavy,too soft,lousy in the
'whatever terrain,etc...Yet after riding with these guys for the 3rd time(all day rides),I'm beginning to get the idea that Mud Lites far exceed their 2 choices in tires for pretty much all terrains...including deep,thick,wet south east Mississippi swamp mud...(I realize that Mud Lites are not an all out mud tire).. I always ride in 2wd until I feel 4wd is mandatory,then flick it in,(my front is locked)and I only had to lock it in from necessity a couple of times that day,once was on a sand sidehill,and my front fender was against a 4" sapling hard enough to pop the flare loose,distort the fender itself,with the sapling locked between the fender,flare,against the floorboard...I did require a quick pull uphill,somewhat sideways,but according to the tree bark,I wasn't the first ..The other time was to retrieve one of them who had decided to dive into a slew off a side trail that we had passed earlier without notifying us,and he was buried with all 4 tires spinning at idle,water just barely under his handlebars(no snorkle),and I was the first one on scene to get him out... ..I have been riding/owning atvs/atcs plus quite a few Jeeps(CJs,and YJs)Toyota 4wds since way back in the late 70s,and have owned,ran,rode on,used a lot of different brands,and type of tires,and mud lites are in my top 5 list.. I have ridden a set of Swamplites,but not very far,nor been able to submit them to my torture test,errr long term riding/testing...yeah that's it,riding testing... and,as I'm thinking about stepping up a size on the Rubi(has 26 mudlites),I may just look around for some 27" Swamplites...Can't be as bad as both types of outlaws...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: Photo250.jpg
Views: 23509
Size: 94.0 KB
ID: 2922

FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://cvetitula.ru/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://cvetitula.ru/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html

Last edited by Deeperinthabush; 04-27-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:45 PM

Liked: 7 times
You know, I have no experience with the Mud that you guys all play in, but I always wondered about the Outlaws and the rave reviews. You know what they say about peer pressure and keeping up with the Jones's! I think the important thing to remember is that you should always go with what you like and what works best for you, not what everyone else likes. I get a kick out of people saying they bought "X" brand winch and never had any problems with it. They never used it, but it seems to be built well. What kind of review is that?

Your review, even if it is partial, gives a great rundown of the tires. Of course you are always going to get people who say, It's 75% about the rider too!

> Click Here for Answers to Cleaning, Compression, Jetting, Carb Issues, Model Specific problems etc.

>> Click Here to Download your Service/Repair Manual

1996 TRX300FW - ITP Mudlites Warn XT25 (Current Project)
2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX
2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 - 2 inch lift
2006 TRX250EX - Maxxis Razrs
2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 - ITP Mudlite XL
2008 TRX450ER - No Lid, HRC Kit, 162 Main, 45 pilot, 55 leak jet

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:36 PM

I don't have mud lite xl's I haw the regular mud lites but I have been thru some crazy mud and water they are some really good tires. I've got them on a 03 Honda Rincon just 25's but there great tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Liked: 9 times
Send a message via AIM to JBGill06
I really like my Mudlites and would recommend them to anyone who isn't riding deserts and roads. Mine just love snow and climbing hills.

2007 Honda Rincon
Twin Air Filter
High Lifter Springs
Viper Max 3500lb Winch
Kimpex Bumpers
Warn Skid Plates
Maier Handguards
ODI Rogue Grips
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
ITP Mudlite XL

2014 HD Dyna Switchback
Vance&Hines Pro Pipe/Tuner/Intake

2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4x4

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 PM

Well, they're ok for an all around tire, but the mud lite and outlaw are in two different classes of tire. The mudlite will climb on hard pack better than an outlaw or silverback. Now I don't know about the kind of mud ya'll have there, but I guarantee those mudlites ain't gonna follow a set of outlaws, silverback or any other pure mud tire down here. Lots of people buy their new bikes with a new set of rims and mudlites from the factory. But after a couple of rides, they're looking for a better tire. About the only tires I haven't had are the mambas and the terminators.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennissonnier View Post
Well, they're ok for an all around tire, but the mud lite and outlaw are in two different classes of tire. The mudlite will climb on hard pack better than an outlaw or silverback. Now I don't know about the kind of mud ya'll have there, but I guarantee those mudlites ain't gonna follow a set of outlaws, silverback or any other pure mud tire down here. Lots of people buy their new bikes with a new set of rims and mudlites from the factory. But after a couple of rides, they're looking for a better tire. About the only tires I haven't had are the mambas and the terminators.
The OP is talking about the Mudlite XL. That's a 1 1/8 inch Lug, not the 3/4" Mudlite AT. The Outlaw has a 1.5" Lug.

Just to Compare the XL are 8.2 lbs lighter per tire, than the Outlaw.

26x12-12
ITP Mud Lite XL 26.7 lbs
Dirt Devil
29.1 lbs.
Gator 30.4 lbs.
Bear Claw 27.8 lbs.
Mud Bug 29.0 lbs.
Outlaw 34.9 lbs.
Vampire 31.1 lbs.

> Click Here for Answers to Cleaning, Compression, Jetting, Carb Issues, Model Specific problems etc.

2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:15 PM

Yea, I got that. But lug depth is not everything. Lug pattern probably plays a bigger role. I've had a set before and they did good, for what they are, but still not a true mud tire.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Yea, I got that. But lug depth is not everything. Lug pattern probably plays a bigger role. I've had a set before and they did good, for what they are, but still not a true mud tire.
I was just making it clear because you said lots of people bought the Mudlites with new quad and changed them for outlaws. Chances are, they are running the 'Mudlite AT' not the XL.

2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 AM

I didn't mean that they switch to the outlaw, just that they switch to a mud tire with more bite and cleans out better in the sticky gumbo mud. With the spacing and pattern of the the ML"XL", it will ball over mud and not clean out as well as a more spaced out pattern. I don't want it to sound like I'm pushing the outlaw. There are several mud tires out there that do just as well.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean that they switch to the outlaw, just that they switch to a mud tire with more bite and cleans out better in the sticky gumbo mud. With the spacing and pattern of the the ML"XL", it will ball over mud and not clean out as well as a more spaced out pattern. I don't want it to sound like I'm pushing the outlaw. There are several mud tires out there that do just as well.
Ok, I was just making sure. I know you play in the "big boy mud" like many of the guys at HighLifter. I don't play in the mud you guys do, but if I did, I'd be looking at the Mudlite XTR Radial and the Outlaw Radial. I wish I had an endless supply of money to go and buy both sets and test them out!

I think many factors go into buying a tire, for me the questions would be:

1. What type of riding do you mostly do? Mostly Trails, Mostly Mud, Water?
2. How much are you wanting to spend?
3. What size is your ATV Engine?

The weight, lug depth and size of your motor I am sure play a huge role.

2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX

Lower Navigation
Go Back cvetitula.ru > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the cvetitula.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode